Sponsored by:

Prestige Motor Auctions in Melbourne

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 05:01 AM
David P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prestige Motor Auctions in Melbourne

Has anyone else had the misfortune to deal with Prestige Motor Auctions in Melbourne? website http://www.prestigevehicles.com.au

To cut a long story short, they sold my car in December and have not paid me a cent.

Myself and others are starting court action against them and would like to here from anyone else who has dealt with them. Please PM me with details.

Regards

David P
Old 03-04-2008, 06:35 AM
ThunderC4S
Racer

David,

I work in Southbank and I drive past City Road every day - Prestige Motor Auctions were located on City Road a few months ago - but they are no longer at these premises. I recall seeing your 964 in the showroom a few months ago.

I do hope you get your money...Good Luck....

ThunderC4S (John)
Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 PM
David P
Instructor

Thanks John,

My lawyer rang me this morning to say an receiver has being appointed. Its not looking good.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:03 PM
shesminetoo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sh_t David, I'm sorry to hear this! Hope it turns out ok for you.

Best of luck to you mate!
Old 03-04-2008, 11:40 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That is awful - let us know how it turns out as we are all hoping for the best for you.

Marc
Old 03-05-2008, 01:31 AM
David P
Instructor

Thanks Marc,

I think this is going to be a long drawn out process,

I'll keep you all imformed.

My advice for today is: "you can never do good business with bad people".

David P
Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 AM
JimOz
Instructor

david,

What a bunch of ******. Hope you get some justice.

Funny that they had your car listed on their site even after they had sold it.

Is there any come back on the new owner? I know dealers offer clear title but if you had not signed over the title how can they sell it?

Good luck in any case.

regards
Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 AM
David P
Instructor

Hi Jim,

They sold the car in mid December, but only admitted selling it when I demanded the car back at the end of January. They still had it listed yesterday!

I didn't sign any transfer papers, but as it was sold to an interstate buyer, I have since discovered they didn't need them. I've spoken to the new buyer, he seems to have bought the car in good faith and paid for it in full. He's a fellow Porsche enthusiast so I'd rather go for the people who have ripped me off than an innocent 3rd party. He also has a dispute with them, so I'm going to let him join my action against them.

I’m trying to stay fairly positive about the whole thing, I wanted the money to help pay some of the enormous mortgage off and this year’s outrageous childcare fees, but other than this financial set back, life is pretty good.

Saying that I'm still going to pursue them through the Courts, the company and the individuals involved and there is also likely to be criminal charges against at least two of the employees, so I can’t say too much about the details.

David P
Old 03-14-2008, 06:10 AM
David P
Instructor

I've just been to the creditors meeting. The liquidator has over 1 million in debts and -$100 of assets. I don't think I'm going to get anything from the liquidator.

There are around 30 other people in a similar position. Its unbelievable that they have been trading for 2.5 years without a licence. The Victorian Consumer Affairs bdy knew about them, had a file, but didn't actually do anything.

The only "good news" is one of the people they have ripped off is in the police. They are trying to get the fraud squad to investigate so we can get criminal charges against them.

If you come across a Brendan Wright or a Simon ***, ask them if they worked at Prestige Motor Auctions in Melbourne and wish them a really long and unhappy time in prision.

David P
Old 03-14-2008, 12:13 PM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,

You mentioned that they were not registered - do you mean they were not a LMCT?

Was involved in a similar "problem" a few years back - but the seller was a registered LMCT - the purchaser had to give the car back to the seller (the owner who left the car with the dealer) and then the purchaser was able to claim on the "fund" for compensation - and he got paid buy the fund. I think the way it works is that a person who purchases from a LMCT is guaranteed good title. Not sure how that can help you
Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 PM
ThunderC4S
Racer

David,

From memory (do a search on vic.gov.au site) you may be able to claim against the Motor Guarantee fund.

The issue that they are no longer registered as a LMCT could be a factor - I would pursue this possibly as a class action against the relevant Victorian regulatory authorities - as they where aware of the unlicensed or expired LMCT registration of this auto dealer.

I also recall some other Porsches in the showroom (993 TT, 996 3.6 C2).

Rgds,

ThunderC4S (John)
Melbourne Australia
Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 PM
David P
Instructor

Hi John and Michael thanks for your support and suggestions,

Yes the claimed to be licenced motor trader but their application was rejected. I've put in a claim under the motor traders Guarantee fund yesterday. Section 76 of the Motor Car Trader's Act allows for claims where there was a reasonable belief that you were dealing with a licenced trader. I hear the fund only has limited funds and there is a cap on what you can claim. There are around $800,000 of claims from this case alone. Also the fund comes from licenced traders, who won't be happy about paying for this. So I'm not overly hopefully of a result from that.

The fact that they were rejected for a motor trader's licence and consumer affairs knew they were still trading in cars is unimpressive to say the least. A class action agaist a government body could be expensive and drawn out.

David P
Old 05-21-2008, 01:39 AM
bc1234
1st Gear

Default Any luck?

Hi David ... I'm another unlucky one in the same boat as you. Have you had any luck with your claim to the LMCT fund?
Old 06-17-2008, 08:05 AM
David P
Instructor

Originally Posted by bc1234
Hi David ... I'm another unlucky one in the same boat as you. Have you had any luck with your claim to the LMCT fund?
What sort of car did you loose? I didn't think there were any other Porsches affected?

I haven't heard yet., so I've just lodged a notice under section 71 of the Motor Car Traders Act with them, so they have to provide reasons for their determination.

Things about about to get very interesting for Mr Brendan Wright...
Old 06-18-2008, 04:53 AM
rennmax
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi David,
I just read what happened to you and my heart sank.
I'm selling my car at the moment and considered a 3rd party to sell it, but not now.
I hope it works out for you, and remember, scumbags usually get what they deserve in the end, and hopefully that's what these criminals will get when they're in jail.

Quick Reply: Prestige Motor Auctions in Melbourne