Sponsored by:

Prestige Motor Auctions in Melbourne

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 01:13 AM
David P
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Rennmax,

Thanks for you message. Don't under any circumstances sell through a 3rd party. I've since discovered that it is illegal to do so under section 36 of the Victorian Motor Traders Act:

36 Consignment selling prohibited
(1) In this section sell a motor car by consignment means to sell, exchange or otherwise dispose of a motor car, or any interest in a motor car, as an agent for a person who is not a licensed motor car trader or a special trader.
(2) A motor car trader must not—
(a) sell a motor car by consignment, or offer to sell a motor car by consignment; or
(b) have a motor car in her, his or its possession for the purpose of selling it by consignment.

I'm working with the Police at the moment. I hope to be able to give an update in a month or two.

DavidP
Old 06-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Section 36 might the the reason why they were not licensed motor car traders?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:39 AM
ausdan
Advanced

Gosh what a sad story. It was only last week I was talking to this mob. They had/have a 993 there that looked decent. If I remember they were asking 99K for it. The dealer I spoke to on the phone was hinting that maybe I should just buy the car sight unseen. I am very glad I did not deal with them. Good luck with it and I really hope it turns out for the best.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 414 Posts

Sorry to hear about your story. Any chance you can file a claim against your car insurance as a comprehensive loss, effectively treating it as a stolen car? You've probably already tried this route, but curious what the insurance policies cover down under. Good luck with everything.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:51 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Originally Posted by ausdan
Gosh what a sad story. It was only last week I was talking to this mob. They had/have a 993 there that looked decent. If I remember they were asking 99K for it. The dealer I spoke to on the phone was hinting that maybe I should just buy the car sight unseen. I am very glad I did not deal with them. Good luck with it and I really hope it turns out for the best.
How are these guys still operating? In fact, how are they still able to walk around with no sore knees or anything?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:26 PM
David P
Instructor

Originally Posted by ausdan
Are you sure it was Prestige Motor Auctions? They have gone in to liquidation so should not be trading. You can never do good business with bad people.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 PM
David P
Instructor

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Sorry to hear about your story. Any chance you can file a claim against your car insurance as a comprehensive loss, effectively treating it as a stolen car? You've probably already tried this route, but curious what the insurance policies cover down under. Good luck with everything.
The insurance company wouldn't accept it as stolen as I gave them the keys and it is not technically stolen.

Interestingly, the new purchaser has lodged an insurance claim against the car as it seems that the lovely people at Prestige Motor Auctions thrashed the **** out of the car after he did his PPI.

The engine blew on his way back home. He is insured through the same company as me, so I had a very interesting call with one of their assessors.

So not only did Prestige Motor Auctions rip off 35 people, they also trashed our cars. Several people had speeding tickets for their cars while they were with Prestige Motor Auctions, some recieved tickets from interstate which means they really were having fun.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:43 PM
David P
Instructor

Originally Posted by AB-Oz
How are these guys still operating? In fact, how are they still able to walk around with no sore knees or anything?
Brendan Wright, the former Managing Director of Prestige Motor Auctions, is working for a Toyota dealer in Werribee. I understand that several people have thought of taking "an alternative path to the normal legal recourse". I was approached by some Russian "Gents" who offered to "help", but it seems a dangerous path to take...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 PM
AB-Oz
Instructor

yes, I would never condone such a thing... nor even should it be brought up on a public forum
Old 11-14-2008, 06:53 AM
David P
Instructor

Smile UPDATE

Great News. I finally reached a settlement with the Motor Car Traders Guarantee fund. They have paid me the maximum they are allowed to by law, which is $40,000 AUS. They are going to pursue the directors and they is a small chance I may even get the remainder, but I'm not holding my breath. Its taken 10 months to get the money. Unfortunately few of the other 35 poeple have managed to get anything back.

The matter was even discussed in State Parliment...

Lesson is that you can never do good business with bad people.

Thanks for all your messages of support over the last 10 months.

David P

Quick Reply: Prestige Motor Auctions in Melbourne