Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Supercharged vs 996 GT3 w/bypass pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 02:34 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally I found a few that run a TPC supercharger. Does anyone actually track or just use for highway runs? I currently have a 993 with a TPC kit with the older split second setup. I am looking into an intercooler if I decide to keep the Supercharger on for this track season. I have not run this car on the track yet since purchased in November. Any feedback is appreciated. Does anyone experience headaches with the liquid intercooler? leaks, etc? Please PM me if you prefer to discuss offline. Thanks

Al
Old 02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

my new 965 and ole beater 966
Attached Images   
Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Well I really like the idea of a S/C on my 964 so it has the straightline speed of a GT3 .
Phil
Old 02-27-2008, 03:59 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Well I really like the idea of a S/C on my 964 so it has the straightline speed of a GT3 .
Phil
I've owned a 95 993 C4 used for street and track and now recently purchased 993 C2 with a TPC supercharger. Completely transforms the car. I have yet to take it to the track, but I can tell you the added power is exactly what the 993 needed without breaking the bank on a 993 TT.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:04 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Aeroman!

OK Matt, that GT2 doesn't count :) That thing definitely has some Marilyn Monroe curves:thumbup:

Blake,
I don't expect cupcar performance out of the little BSR but @ 20% or so of the operating cost, I'll live ;)

Al,
My SoK motor has about 10k track miles on it. You should be fine if you keep your boost levels reasonable but an intercooler & proper fuel/timing curve set-up is mandatory
Old 02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
GT3'sRFree
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 964 vs GT3

Originally Posted by kgorman
Go get a day at the drag strip so you don't kill someone
The proper time was chosen so the roadway was clear. Traffic was 1 car about 1/2 mile ahead. Not even close.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:07 PM
GT3'sRFree
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
Phil
Yea, and mine is a C4!! When I convert it to 2wd and loose 300lbs I think the result will be different.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:52 PM
sturm_old

The TPC supercharger has a lot of giddy up
ilko, can you elaborate on your cars setup (I searched archives) and your experiences with the SC?

Or at least provide the name, number and address of the female in your avitar!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:30 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by allan ershig
ilko, can you elaborate on your cars setup (I searched archives) and your experiences with the SC?

Or at least provide the name, number and address of the female in your avitar!
I have the TPC supercharger with no intercooler and a custom TPC engine management, installed by the previous owner. I also have a custom exhaust (cat delete, heat exchangers delete, dual outlet) that really opens the car up. Last year all my car did was track dates with its previous owner. About 1,000 miles worth. And he drove it at 10/10ths, I watched him at the Glen and Pocono. No street driving. The car didn't have any problems and passed PPI with flying colors.

The female in my avatar is my wife. What else would you like to know?

Old 02-28-2008, 05:56 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 02-29-2008, 07:37 AM
dboyle
Intermediate

Oddly enough there was a black strosek cab up on ebay with a SoK (or German Auto as it was badged) supercharger. Kinda like my cars evil uncle or something. Had front end damage so went for next to nothing.

My own supercharged 964 v something modern story (and apologize if I have told it before) involves a 997 turbo. Was up at Lime Rock coming out of the downhill behind a nice new 997 turbo. Lap after lap the guy would go wide open down the stretch looking in his rear view to see if there was anyone there for a point by. Every lap he would see this 17 year old white c2 and probably laugh as he squeezed on the throttle...

Needless to say while he did pull away from me down the straight it wasn't at a terrific rate and I would catch him coming out of big ben.

I have heard talk of my setup being dyno'd at 450 (German Auto, intercooler) but haven't confirmed myself. All the work was done by the previous owner. She is fussy, but what 17 year old isn't

ilko good to see you got a nice replacement car. We had talked about me buying your old rollbar etc a while back. Turns out I should have taken the deal But you knew that...

-Dave
Old 02-29-2008, 12:03 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Hey Dave,

Your car looks great in your avatar, I'd love to see it in person some time. I actually ended up not selling the seats since they're going in my new car. I kept a few track parts that I'm transplanting - seats, harnesses, fire extinguisher, front splitter. Had to buy a new non-sunroof roll bar though...
Old 02-29-2008, 02:24 PM
sturm_old

I have the TPC supercharger with no intercooler and a custom TPC engine management, installed by the previous owner. I also have a custom exhaust (cat delete, heat exchangers delete, dual outlet) that really opens the car up. Last year all my car did was track dates with its previous owner. About 1,000 miles worth. And he drove it at 10/10ths, I watched him at the Glen and Pocono. No street driving. The car didn't have any problems and passed PPI with flying colors.

The female in my avatar is my wife. What else would you like to know?
Well, like I said.....

I've got a 3.8 with MAF and love the throttle response but was concerned that with a SC I would lose that crispness. Is it just as advertised; the engine just feels like a larger version of itself?
Perhaps no intercooler results in better throttle response. I do 20 min DE sessions and I don't think the ambient temperature has ever been over 75 so I feel confident not running an IC with low boost.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:15 AM
dboyle
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ilko
Your car looks great in your avatar, I'd love to see it in person some time. I actually ended up not selling the seats since they're going in my new car. I kept a few track parts that I'm transplanting - seats, harnesses, fire extinguisher, front splitter. Had to buy a new non-sunroof roll bar though...
I am not sure if I am going to make the trek down to Lime Rock this year. Last year blew my fan belt and had to get her towed the last 80 miles home

I am in process of putting in a new DAS Rollbar (just got it powdercoated). I am probably going with recaro spg pro in the driver and pole for the passenger (usually don't have one LOL). Harnesses etc...

If I can't get the spg's in (cause that appears to still be an unknown) I am going with the cobra evolution S. The recaro just has a much nicer feel to it.

Once that is done it will basically be a dedicated track car. The comfort level will be really low for street driving. Yet with all the cash going into all the improvements I can't swing a trailer etc (and my soon to be wife would probably frown on it anyway LOL).

Next improvements from that would probably be a turbo tail or rs tail to allow me to stuff a larger intercooler (= more boost!) in there. The one I have now doesn't do much I don't think.

Always something....

Quick Reply: 964 Supercharged vs 996 GT3 w/bypass pipes