Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RS or sport transmission mount??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for your feedback. I have no problem to solve, I am just thinking about it since I plan to drop the transmission for RS clutch/flywheel.

So correct me if I'm wrong but beside stock mount, RS mount would be the softest of all. The white hard plastic mount is installed like any poly bushing and that's why you need two. Now the ones carreracup03 mentioned from smart racing are different. All above are installed in the transmission "housing" and attaches to the transmission carrier whereas the later one seem to attach the carrier to chassie. If the later ones are used, what would I be using to attach transmission to carrier??
Old 02-19-2008, 09:23 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I am not sure how exactly they are attached ... but I am sure Smart Racing would able to answer your question.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I thought you had them on your race car?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:07 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Whoops I thought you were asking about engine mounts .. sorry. That being said .. I had the RS tranny mount on my US Cup and it seemed to work fine. There was some tranny noise thats for sure ... but the RS mount is compatible with some mild street driving.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm.. I'm going to have to look at the new G50/32 that is sitting out waiting to be installed in my car to see if it has the same mount as pictured by cupcar.

In any event, if you call Smart Racing I'm absolutely sure that they can answer the questions - Rich (from Smart Racing & Jerry Woods) is very busy working on my car and if the /32 mount gets changed, it will likely be for a Smart Racing part (we are planning to install solid motor and transmission mounts when the car goes back together).
Old 02-20-2008, 10:42 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Hmm.. I'm going to have to look at the new G50/32 that is sitting out waiting to be installed in my car to see if it has the same mount as pictured by cupcar.

In any event, if you call Smart Racing I'm absolutely sure that they can answer the questions - Rich (from Smart Racing & Jerry Woods) is very busy working on my car and if the /32 mount gets changed, it will likely be for a Smart Racing part (we are planning to install solid motor and transmission mounts when the car goes back together).
I'd be curious to know what Rich does with the fore and aft motion absorber mount (or whatever one wants to call it) on your gearbox, the part that looks like a lollipop and bolts under the gearbox and to the aluminum transverse bracket in front of the gearbox. I replaced mine with one fabricated using a rod end to eliminate the rubber, but I wonder if it is even needed with a stiffer main mount like the G50/32's.

FWIW, I found that my car throttle steers more precisely with solid engine mounts. When I changed the RS mount to an RSR mount in my G50/10 5 speed gearbox, I didn't notice any change in shifting, noise or throttle steer, but I liked it in my mind game.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let you know. My new roof arrived yesterday so after fitting it, the car goes for the new cage next week and then reassembly begins in ernest. The Turtle will be back and ready to run (or crawl) in a month.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:06 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for your valuable information. I got a pretty good deal on an RS mount thanks to deep_uv.

Quick Reply: RS or sport transmission mount??