Sponsored by:

Tiptronic driving\heavy traffic\ bad roads

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 06:01 AM
fedefiore
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tiptronic driving\heavy traffic\ bad roads

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and I'm also a first time owner of a black 964 Tiptronic C2 92.(see my bad pics!)
I've been driving the car for a couple of weeks now and I'm spending the best driving time of my life in it !
I'm always paranoid something might go wrong but I'm learning to trust the car !

I've a couple of questions :

1) How is a TT intended to be driven in hard traffic ? Should I use the N position while at a traffic light or in a long jam ? How can I judge if the converter needs some rest ? isn't it worst going back and forth between N and D ??
2) I drive the car in Milano,I was not aware of how bad our roads are untill I got my 964 the first time !!
Everything is bumpy,every hole seems too big ! We have a lot of stone roads and it just seems wrong to take my car on those roads ...it always looks like the car is going to fall apart on the next manhole...it looks like my suspensions will pass to a better life on the next stone road, it looks like my wheels are going to dent on the next badly fixed asphalt hole.
Should I not worry ?
3) If anyone from Italy could you suggest a good independent service in Milano for my 964 ?
Attached Images     
Old 02-15-2008, 07:37 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Beautiful car. Congratulations. I can try to help with 1 and 2, but sorry no help on service in Milano.

1) It does no harm to shift into N, but also no harm to leave it alone. If you shift to N and suddenly need to get moving in a hurry, you could forget to shift first. Visualize a large truck in the rear view mirror that is quickly getting larger.....

2) Harsh ride can be weak shock absorbers. I replaced mine, and the car was transformed. 964 suspensions are tough, but hardly a joy on bumpy roads.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:47 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice car and welcome. I normally leave my TIP in 3 for in town driving. That way it starts in 1st giving you a bit more power at takeoff. I never put it in N at lights or traffic.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:27 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

1) In heavy stop and go traffic, I just leave it in "D".
There is enough torque to start out in 2nd in most situations. When I want a brisker getaway, I just need to quickly stab the gas, and it shifts down to 1st immediately.

2) I agree that you should check out the condition of the suspension - remember, this is a sports car, so expect a FIRM ride.

Congrats on your new ride - enjoy!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:35 AM
fedefiore
Intermediate

Thanks all guys !
The only thing i'm worried is keep my car in best conditions,I had the car tested by a specialized P cars mechanic and he did not say anything on suspensions so I think that's just the firm attitude LouZ was mentioning, I don't mind I just wanted to make shure it's no prblem for my beauty's health !
Same thing for the transmission, just wanted to make shure it's not going to suffer.
Geez...I'm just fond of this car and I cant' stop caring for her !!
Girlfriend is getting seriously gelous...no kidding !
Old 02-15-2008, 12:58 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello!

Two suggestions.. Install Bilstein HD Shocks, leave stock sprigs and ride height. Sell those pretty 17" wheels and buy some 16", they will serve you much better!
Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
fedefiore
Intermediate

Originally Posted by doug751
Hello!

Two suggestions.. Install Bilstein HD Shocks, leave stock sprigs and ride height. Sell those pretty 17" wheels and buy some 16", they will serve you much better!
Well I can't separate from those 17 wheels for a set of 16"...
Old 02-15-2008, 02:56 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

You must!!!! Just kidding.. Really, the car will drive a lot nicer on bad roads. See, it's not that bad... (2 types of 16" wheels on my 964)
Attached Images    
Old 02-16-2008, 07:27 AM
fedefiore
Intermediate

Yep !!
You are right...they dont' look bad at all...I will start to search...may be black 16 " cup wheels,I 've a list of things to do and it's already growing too fast...distributor belt,100.000 km service new tires $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

And nice car you have by the way !
Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

whatever you do respect the signs....

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...led-roads?lite
Old 07-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

^Nice jump, poor landing.

I remember driving throughthe Milan city center on a cobblestone road, bouncing around in a local's Ford Ka, and spotting a 993 in traffic and wondering how bad those roads felt in that car.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:34 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

I think for your car in traffic the strategy of leaving it in 3rd is worth trying, although in traffic pulling away in 2nd is not really an issue. Leaving the car in D or using the manual gate will cause no damage IMHO. I have a 993 Tip by the way. For the bad roads 16" wheels must help, also it may be worth playiong with tyre pressures especially at the rear where the 964 suspension can really thump.

Bad shock absorbers or suspension bushes will make the suspension really crash and feel much worse.

Nice car!

All the best

Berni

Quick Reply: Tiptronic driving\heavy traffic\ bad roads