Exhaust fumes in cabin!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 09:46 AM
TEN DOLLAR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust fumes in cabin!

Hi guys,

I'm a relatively new 964 owner and don't know anything about the heating/ventilation system as yet. I just wanted to know if it's a common problem to have exhaust gases getting into the cabin. Just recently I've been getting out the car after a journey feeling tired and with a head ache, which lasts for the rest of the day. I can't smell any fumes in the cabin though. I've heard the heating system is similar to light aircraft and this can definately be an issue in them.

Cheers in advance,

TD
Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Hey TD, welcome to Rennlist. I'm a big fan of checking the easy stuff first. As such, be sure and check the shroud around the fan and heating rear blower. It these get cracked or broken they can let air into the heating system from the engine compartment.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:35 AM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

I find it hard to believe that much exhaust could get in that way. The engine compartment is designed to let air move around. He might want to look at the muffs on the exhaust.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

TD.... take this seriously man, my exhaust had cracks in it and for about 2 weeks i felt depressed with headaches and i could not catch my breath. I went to doctor and spent alot of money trying to figure out what was wrong with me before i realized it was exposure to carbon monoxide from cracks in my exhaust system. I quit driving my car and all my symptoms went away. Get your exhaust system inspected pronto.

JERRY
Old 02-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Boeing 717

Aeroman which one of those chicks do you like better??????

JERRY
Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aeroman
I find it hard to believe that much exhaust could get in that way. The engine compartment is designed to let air move around. He might want to look at the muffs on the exhaust.
Good point Aeroman. Even with an exhaust leak the gases would have to enter into the heater air at some point. Would that have to be either in the heat exchangers or through system around the rear blower?

I can't find a good diagram of the rear blower system, but attached is one of the heat exchangers and exhaust, FWIW.
Attached Images  
Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My son recently switched out the rubber airduct that was cracked. When using the heater we could smell a stong odor in the cabin. This improved considerably after the change.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:00 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

I had an exhaust leak where my cat bolts to the cast header. I could certainly smell it inside. I cracked the window until I repaired it.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:02 PM
TEN DOLLAR
Advanced

Thanks for your advice guys, I'll look into it next week when I get back from work. I'm off to Denver tomorrow and have a shopping list for my 964. Parts - like everything else, seem to be cheaper in the US compared to the UK!!!!!

Cheers TD
Old 02-14-2008, 06:38 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

TD

If there's a crack in the exhaust header which is within the heat exchanger this is one area exhaust gases can enter the heating system but if you don't smell anything then I can't imagine this is occurring as exhaust gases have an odor. Exhaust gases can also be pulled into the heating system via. the large cooling fan but tend not to, if the exhaust system is intact and any exhaust eminating from the exhaust tip tends to stay outside the engine compartment. This path for exhaust odors is obvious when one has an oil leak and it is dripping on the outside of the heat exchanger - the smoke rises up within the engine compartment and gets pulled into the heating system via. the large cooling fan. If you're concerned about carbon monoxide get a battery operated carbon monoxide detector (i.e the ones that give a digital readout of the ppm) and put it in the cabin while you're driving and see if you get a reading.

Hope this helps
Bill
90C2

Jerry

Everytime I see the "chick" in your avatar I think about goin commando - I apologize if it's a wife/ girl friend.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Boeing 717

Apology accepted Darth!!!

JERRY

Quick Reply: Exhaust fumes in cabin!