Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaks...do I D-I-Y, or pay the piper?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 03:41 AM
ketel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaks...do I D-I-Y, or pay the piper?

Gang,

It's almost track season, so I went in to tech my '89 C4 and failed due to oil leaks. I have noticed more leaks recently than in the past. There is no pooling, but usually 3-4 spots in the morning when I come home the evening prior.

Truth be told, she's got 115k on her, so I guess this should be expected. The mechanic walked me under the car and pointed out 3 or 4 problem areas -- around the oil return tubes, the valve covers, etc. He seems to think they can be addressed without taking out the engine. Thank goodness.

What to do? I have Wayne Dempsey's 101 Projects book and it has a section on fixing oil leaks, but it has little relevance (in my mind) to much 964 stuff. I would like to do more things on my C4 and I am willing to invest the time (and $$ for tools) but I hate when I start a project and can't finish (and need to put the girl back together without the needed repair.)

Is there a better 964 D-I-Y resource for oil leak fixes other than the Bentley and Dempsey and Streather books? Any suggestions welcome.

ketel
Old 02-04-2008, 05:23 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You can fit collapsable/expandable oil return tubes that can be fitted without taking the engine out, if that helps any.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 AM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not seen a through "964 leak fix guide" that is comparable to Dempsey's 911 guide. However, if you will take each of your leaks individually you may find help. For example, where your oil return is leaking may be a similiar type of fitting to one that Wayne talks about in his book. The are lots of posts in Rennlist about fixing leaks around valve covers.

If you DIY, please post pictures and comments. I'm interested in this topic too.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replacing your oil return tubes and valve cover gaskets should only be 3-4 hours of labor. The parts cost is minimal. How do I know? Mine's at the shop right now having that done. I have a DE this weekend and didn't want to take the chance that I would turn it into a multi week ordeal like I typically do.

Quick Reply: Oil leaks...do I D-I-Y, or pay the piper?