Sponsored by:

overfilled...check engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:16 PM
CrazyCabbie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overfilled...check engine

Now I've done it. Overfilled the tank on my 91C2 cab and got the smoke and check engine light. I realized my mistakes but I have the check engine light. I read some other posts about idle speed valve. How do I clean this? or does it right itself. Also, I do not have the Hammer so I cannot check the light. What would cause the light to go on and will the light go off automatically? I am new to 964 but I had the 79 targa SC and not familiar with the bells and whistles. Thanks for any help given!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:46 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overfilled the gas tank? Oil tank? If it's the oil tank, just take take some of the oil out of the tank. Pull the tank's drain plug until you think enough oil's come out (use measuring device to determine) and put plug back in. I've done it several times. It's a little messy buy hey, so are oil changes. Then take the negative cable off the battery for 20 seconds and reset CEL. See what happens. I've overfilled my oil tank several times and no CEL.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:04 PM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

here is how you clean the valve
http://www.p-car.com/diy/isv/
Old 01-29-2008, 06:13 PM
CrazyCabbie
Intermediate

Just did an oil change (cause I needed it) and refilled per specs. I did remove the neg cable for a few minutes while I read the DIY ISV cleaning. I reattached the neg cable and tried to start. It started for a second or two and stopped. that happened twice. The third time, the check engine light tripped on and it started and stayed running, I suppose in some kind or default mode. It does still fog the garage out. I will clean the ISV and hope that is what all of this is all about. I must have really chugged some oil in all the wrong parts!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
TR6
Drifting

How many quarts of oil did you fill with when you changed the oil?
Old 01-29-2008, 06:53 PM
CrazyCabbie
Intermediate

I did 6 initially after the draining and two more after running to temperature.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:31 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

8 qts? Mine holds 10.5 qts.. Did you drain from the pan and the side tank? Pan holds 4-5, side tank holds the rest.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

did you drain the engine crankcase, too? If not, that might explain the overfill. I'd strongly suggest using a turkey baster to remove the excess oil instead of removing or even loosening the drain plug. Sometimes a CEL will reset all on its own after a number of restarts. CEL only applies to emissions thingies (O2 sensor, loose gas cap, other sensors being out of range, etc.), which, in your case, means you've just contaminated something.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:36 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Also, the "fogging" could be from oil getting oil on the exhaust. It's very hard not to spill oil when changing the filter.
Did you change the filter?
I agree w/Richard. Give the CEL time to reset itself.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:46 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Noticed your new to RL? If these things don't get it corrected:
1) Be calm...we'll figure it out. I'm not 2 smart, but some RL's are.
2) Give us as much info as you can. Exactly what did you do, by step by step
3) Pictures help
4) We've all been there. If it can go wrong, it's happened to me!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:18 PM
CrazyCabbie
Intermediate

I drained the case and tank. I got quite a bit out of the tank. I changed the filter also. I am still low on the stick( near the 1" twist towards the first notch). I could use another quart or two to get to the second notch.
I heard some gurggleing and bubbling back by the tank yesterday when I first started the car and I felt the filter and it had a churning and bubbling feeling to it. I added two quarts however it wasnt warmed up yet. I had gone out for a drive and it started to warm up and fog out and stalled. I got it started again but could only "feather" the throttle, anything more would stall it out. CEL came on. I know I sucked some oil up and I think its still in "there". I pulled the A/F and its not oily. Ive done multiple lubes on the '79 and never had this prob. I will pull the ISV tomorrow cause its probably soaked. That could explain the feathering throttle.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:42 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Total of 10 qts. is not an overfill, IMHO. Have you rechecked the level since you added the 2 qts.? Any chance the plugs got oil on them? I have overfilled my car and raced it, not knowing it was overfilled. The only results was a wet, oily right side engine, and it was over a qt. too much. Any chace oil's leaking around the filter? The O2 sensors on the driver side, so wouldn't think that could be the issue. What's your oil pressure guage show?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
CrazyCabbie
Intermediate

Oil pressure at idle is 2-3 and 4-5 while driving. There are no external leaks, other than the usuals(planning engine removal this summer). From what Ive seen is the hose that pulls oil tank vapors runs to the top of the intake where it meets the aluminum part (ISV). I will pull a plug or two tomorrow.If I gently raise the throttle, I can bring it up through the RPM range with no loss of power, only smoke.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:03 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

My car smoked right before the DME relay blew. Not related to an oil change but...
Oil pressure sounds right.
I would agree to pull a plug on each cylinder and check.
Anyone else have ideas?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:24 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by CrazyCabbie
I did 6 initially after the draining and two more after running to temperature.
Hmmm. That amount shouldn't result in an overfill if you drained out all that was supposed to be drained. And your oil pressure sounds like it is where it's supposed to be, so no worries there. But to check the oil level (on the dipstick or the guage), you need to get the car up to full operating temperature (oil thermostat opens) and let it idle for a couple of minutes on a level surface. Then check the level while the motor is still running. Its kind of hard to read the dipstick with fresh oil so I usually take about three tries with the dipstick to be sure of what I'm seeing on it.

Quick Reply: overfilled...check engine