Sponsored by:

964 manual or tiptronic????

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:19 AM
sean986
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Thanks for the help,ive got to choose between a93 manual right hand drive with 140k
or a 91 tip left hand drive with 68k.
I live in Ireland!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 AM
Uber 911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sean,

Take the 68k LHD Tip you'll always get your money back....Here's why. I was looking for a Tip back in Oct 07 and the ones worth bothering with had all been approached by either Dutch, Belgian or German dealers who paid premiums, ie more than the vendor wanted to take them off the market.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LA964RS
Zico...you ever own a tip? Live w/it day to day....become "intimate" w/it? I don't know, I've never had a tip not do what I asked it to do....except when the relay for the anti-lock brakes came loose and stuck the car in D as opposed to M..the way I always drove it.

In this day and age and w/our cars, who cares or will really notice a 10th or two of a second here or there?

I removed my tip and put in a 996 LSD 6-speed box. Only because it was doubtful the tip could handle the power of the modded 993TT engine I stuck in the back.
Maybe I'm an old mule and refuse to accept technology like the automatic transmission or diesel racing engines. Even the new Tiptronic S system with management gear selection only through throttle input and the exquisite incline sensor didn't convince me (yet). But I admit I could be wrong. This threads always gather the Tip guys. Where's the old school army? haha
Old 01-23-2008, 12:21 PM
sean986
Intermediate

Thanks tip 964
So milage in the most important thing to look for?
I think the driving on the wrong side was worrying me.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Uber 911

Sean, its one thing to consider and at 140k it should have had a top end rebuild. Also bushes, suspension, body shell, seals etc.. all wear. Ad to this a 'wet' climate and your looking at what I'd describe as a tired 964(manual)
Now driving a LHD is very easy, it'll take you a day to get used to it. Over taking you just need to hang back a little further. Parking is a doddle - and you step onto the pavement when you get out, and finally the bottom dwellers who may think of nickin your car think again when they see its LHD.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:04 AM
sean986
Intermediate

Question

Yeah That makes sence,ok ill take your advice,im taking the tip for a drive on sat,so ill see what its like!
what is the usual time on an 911 to do a top end rebuild?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 AM
Bangkokian
Instructor

Originally Posted by zicoramone
Maybe I'm an old mule and refuse to accept technology like the automatic transmission or diesel racing engines. Even the new Tiptronic S system with management gear selection only through throttle input and the exquisite incline sensor didn't convince me (yet). But I admit I could be wrong. This threads always gather the Tip guys. Where's the old school army? haha
Who better to reply about likes and dislikes of a Tip than a Tip owner. I'm one of those and certainly don't want to criticise any of the manual transmission owner's preferences.
Yep I like the Tip. Always in manual mode, though, just because it's more fun. Call me lazy I suppose but pushing the clutch isn't to my liking, especially driving in the Bangkok traffic.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:27 AM
Uber 911

I dont know the time it would take for a top end build but you'd be looking at a min of £3000. When you test the Tip try the down shift, its pretty impressive. Up shift has a very slight latency but you'll get used to that after 10 mins.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

Hi Sean,

If its the two cars on carzone the red one looks like a good original car if there is a good load of bills with the service history ask for any recent big work done (clutch, top end).
With the tip LHD import it might be hard to verify the milage/history, not sure whats going on with the front spoiler it's not original.

cc
Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Aren't all F1 cars all Tiptronics ? and been so for a long time now. I read where some F1 drivers said they wished the cars were fully automatic so they could just drive.

If you ever drive on the 405 Freeway you will be very happy you have a Tip !
Old 01-24-2008, 11:10 AM
adamfogerty
Instructor

If being comfortable/lazy/uninvolved is high on your wishlist, shouldn't you be looking at a different car? Getting a tip or auto box on such an awesome car kind of defeats the point, in my opinion...isn't half the fun of these cars the involvement of driving them?!?

I come from the UK where we're bought up on manuals - I drive them around town in heavy traffic and never thought "oh I wish I had an auto box".

Plus I get to change gear how and when I want - if I want to make the money shift, I can

and yes, I am very biased - I'm a manual owner and no I haven't driven a tip.

So they're only my opinions! Just thought I'd help Zico out

Adam
Old 01-24-2008, 11:50 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

I would have to disagree with the whole " 140k, should have had a rebuild by now" mentallity. From what I have read on RL, there are plenty of high mileage cars around that haven't had a rebuild yet, have good leak down numbers and don't burn/drip oil. I would advise you to look at both closely. Mileage is not an indicator of how the car has been used/abused, unless it is a museum piece with less than 10k on the clock. You need to look at the condition of the car as a whole and not just the number on the odo., especially as you guys in Eire seem to have a limited selection to choose from.

Why not try and source a UK car? You could have any likely candicate PPI'd before you came over to commit to buy.

PS this thread is a good case in point, just posted: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=21329
Old 01-24-2008, 01:10 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adamfogerty
If being comfortable/lazy/uninvolved is high on your wishlist, shouldn't you be looking at a different car? Getting a tip or auto box on such an awesome car kind of defeats the point, in my opinion...isn't half the fun of these cars the involvement of driving them?!?

I come from the UK where we're bought up on manuals - I drive them around town in heavy traffic and never thought "oh I wish I had an auto box".

Plus I get to change gear how and when I want - if I want to make the money shift, I can

and yes, I am very biased - I'm a manual owner and no I haven't driven a tip.

So they're only my opinions! Just thought I'd help Zico out

Adam
Haaa!!Thank you Adam. That's it. You it the nail
I suspect now, that the problem lay on the Americans: they don't know how to drive a stick car hehe, just teasing.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Uber 911

"Why not try and source a UK car? You could have any likely candicate PPI'd before you came over to commit to buy."

Import duty from the UK to Eire is something like 30%. Illegal under EU law but try telling the Irish Customs!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:36 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

How much does a 964 go for in Ireland? I thought they were expensive and UK imports were therefore financially viable? There was someone on RL a few months ago that imported to Ireland from UK...I think?

Quick Reply: 964 manual or tiptronic????