Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch 'grab' at pedal max depression point; cause?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:48 PM
mshobe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch 'grab' at pedal max depression point; cause?

Hey list,

My ~52K mile '89 C4 has been exhibiting some grumpy clutch feel lately, in both warmer temps (well, "warm" is 50F) and today's single-digit highs in Chicago.

Specifically, with the last ~1/2" or so of clutch travel to the max depression point for the pedal, the motion fails to be smooth and some grab, or friction, can be felt through the movement. I wonder if this means the clutch slave cylinder line needs to be bled. I had the brake fluid reservoir completely flushed and refilled last January as part of my post-purchase service reset, and drivetrain has performed flawlessly up until about three weeks ago when I first noticed this friction. Finally, I notice this grab whether in motion or just sitting at a light. It seems to not be there when I start the car, but appears as soon as I'm under way.

I don't know if I've still got the original rubber-centered clutch or the solid-centered update; the few service records I have don't indicate any clutch work. I doubt it's the disc itself, but of course I don't really know. Any ideas?
Old 01-20-2008, 09:55 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I would approach this problem by doing the easy things first.

Easiest/cheapest first

1) Bleed the clutch
2) Replace the clutch slave and slave hose
3) Replace the clutch master
4) Drop the engine and inspect the clutch itself

Good luck on the repair.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:00 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the bleed.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:49 PM
mshobe
Advanced

Bleed makes a lot of sense, and the escalation process does as well. Thanks. One thing I noticed is I can plainly hear the creaking at the end of the pedal travel when the car is at rest, and the engine's off.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 PM
sperki11
AutoX

Can't tell from your description whether you have a hydraulic issue or a mechanical. If it's a mechanical pedal travel issue, you may want to take a look at your floor board. I know my 1990 C4 has an adjustable pedal stop which wasn't tight. As the pedal reached the bottom of it's travel, I was feeling a scrubbing sensation. I adjusted it and tightened the two screws and the scrubbing was gone. Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:47 PM
mshobe
Advanced

I'll double-check whether my '89 has any adjustment; I don't think it does, but this sounds kind of like a "step 0" to check before heading down the hydraulic diagnosis path. It feels like the scrubbing is in the travel itself, ahead of any floorboard contact. Did you have remove carpet and anything else to get to those two screws; i.e., I have to assume it was relatively straightforward, but maybe not!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:31 AM
sperki11
AutoX

Yes, there's a small piece of carpet that covers the plywood floor board. Once you remove the carpet, you'll see the screws. Should be straight forward and obvious if this is your problem. Just push the pedal with your hand and watch the lever as it goes down.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 AM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Bleed first.......this has happened to me a few times.....twice the RMS leaked on the clutch assembly.

Quick Reply: Clutch 'grab' at pedal max depression point; cause?