Sponsored by:

East Coast/cupcars

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:21 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default East Coast/cupcars

Curious as to why most the cupcars, or the activity of them, is biased toward the East. Is it a fair assumption? If so, why? Keep it friendly, no motive here, just curiousity.
:-)
Old 01-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

964 cup or all cups?

PCA racing is very active out east. It's not common in the west. However, we have other groups that sponsor equivalent racing that doesn't see as much chatter on Rennlist. In CA, lots of folk race the more common 996 cup cars (and now the 997 cups).
Old 01-13-2008, 01:42 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by N51
Curious as to why most the cupcars, or the activity of them, is biased toward the East. Is it a fair assumption? If so, why? Keep it friendly, no motive here, just curiousity.
:-)
Just remember when you say "most" only ~15 of the 290 euro cups have been imported to the US. As for the USA cups, I think it has more to do with population density...theres just more potential owners in the northeast.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:13 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect one of the reasons 964 Cup activity centers out east is due to what Tom said: out west the PCA Club Race scene doesn't seem as active as on the east coast. PCA offers a specific class just for 964 Cups which allows the owners to race them unmolested. This is an attractive proposition for racing a rare car such as a 964 Cup (as Colin noted, there are probably only ~15-20 of the Euro Cups in the U.S., best we've been able to estimate).
Old 01-13-2008, 11:31 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interestingly, there are no 964 Cups in the Chicago PCA Region which boasts one of the largest rosters of licensed Club Racers (if not the largest) throughout PCA. Why? Here's a guess:

- Limited competition. Many racers migrate to the larger classes, e.g. F, GTC3, etc.
- Our local race shops specialize in prepping GT cars, i.e. Eurosport, Perfect Power, Fischer, Kelly-Moss. Engine building is their specialty and they produced some consistent winners on the National scene, e.g. Tim McKenzie, Gary Boss, Phillip Collin and Claudio Kaempf.
- As F class grew in popularity, some of the local shops began specializing in prepping F cars and even a new 944 shop arrived on the local scene.
- Economics. This can be misleading. Some racers are more comfortable risking inexpensive donor cars but after investing in top-notch suspension, a pricey rebuild, custom wheels, big (legal) brakes, they end up spending, perhaps, $50K developing these disposable race cars.

While the 964 Cups are not new to Midwest racers, the bulk of our exposure came from Jerry Greene who used to own Colin's car. This Minnesota-based race car would make its annual appearance at the Road America Club Race and performed quite well, usually vying for the overall win in the B-I class Enduro. But historically, it was the only car in its class and, while it performed impressively, the idea of running without class competition seemed to have limited appeal.

$0.02
Old 01-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The reason is that there were 4 racers who dumped their F class cars and imported 5 Euro Cups back in 2001. The history of this group of people known as the "F Troop" and the exciting racing they provided in the new class helped peak interest with other people such as Colin and Charlie. Had the 5 cars not been imported, perhaps the east coast would be much like the rest of the country.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:41 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The reason is that there were 4 racers who dumped their F class cars and imported 5 Euro Cups back in 2001. The history of this group of people known as the "F Troop" and the exciting racing they provided in the new class helped peak interest with other people such as Colin and Charlie. Had the 5 cars not been imported, perhaps the east coast would be much like the rest of the country.
I agree.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Between Euro and USA 964 Cups, with owners who either participate in DEs, Club Races or both, our Region has at least 9 of these cars that I can think of right now. The interst in them spreads as people see them/hear of them, and many change hands through word-of -mouth sales rather than ever being advertised. All of which tends to keep the ownership relatively localized in the case of our Region.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:41 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Totally agree that Bob/Henk/Jeff/John's cars are what started the euro fad on the east coast. Watching Bob/Jeff/Henk nose to tail at Lime rock in ~2006 is what pushed Jupe & I to look for cars.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:53 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't forget us here in the Rust Belt! So far, I have only seen one other 964 cup at Mid-Ohio...and that was during the 2005 season.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:32 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone for your information. While not a racer, I get caught up in it, and like to draw everyone to it. All interesting in the different regions/diversity, and we've heard from good people in each. My appreciation goes out to those who have put their enthusiasm for the 964 to words.

Best,
Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Totally agree that Bob/Henk/Jeff/John's cars are what started the euro fad on the east coast. Watching Bob/Jeff/Henk nose to tail at Lime rock in ~2006 is what pushed Jupe & I to look for cars.
It was instructing in a USA Cup at Mid Ohio back several years ago that made me want one. Unfortunately, I escalated myself to a GT3 Cup when I went looking given the close price differential. When I corrected that "error", it didn't take long to go get the right car.

Remember, I already HAD my Cup (hell, it was at the event!) when we watched Bob/Jeff/Henk in '06.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:20 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
It was instructing in a USA Cup at Mid Ohio back several years ago that made me want one. Unfortunately, I escalated myself to a GT3 Cup when I went looking given the close price differential. When I corrected that "error", it didn't take long to go get the right car.

Remember, I already HAD my Cup (hell, it was at the event!) when we watched Bob/Jeff/Henk in '06.

So for me, I primarily agree with Bull: it was simply the number around which promoted familiarity and awareness. This, in turn, leads to "want" since they are obviously such great cars.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:02 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

So who (964 cups) is going to Mid-Ohio for the race this year? I didn't make it in '07....
Old 01-13-2008, 09:14 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Thanks to everyone for the great and fun comments thus far. :-) It's all I'd hoped. Keep it coming.

Best to all,

Quick Reply: East Coast/cupcars