automatic indicator cancelling

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:48 PM
bawmnot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic indicator cancelling

Hi All,

just had porker in the shop for some work involving ingition barrel, including taking off and replacing dash. have noticed the indicators do not automatically cancel after turning a corner anymore. the shop is too far away to drop in easily - is there an easy fix for this?

Cheers

Andrew.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:09 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked to see if the plastic tab is still in place when you remove the steering wheel? Perhaps they managed to snap it off?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:14 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may need to be adjusted. When I got my car, it would not cancel in one direction. I adjusted the whole switch assembly out towards the wheel a bit, and it works fine. If I recall, you can access the bolt that holds the turn signal cluster through the bottom of the steering wheel trim without taking anything apart.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:21 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the tab is not broken, I would say that, presuming they removed the steering wheel and indicators assembly, that the assembly has been pushed too far onto the steering column. This means that the wheel boss is not making contact with the plastic tab.

If you remove the plastic cowling around the indicator mechanism you should be able to see what's going on. You may then even be able to undo the bolt that clamps the mechanism to the column and ease it towards you and then re-tighten (not too tight though).

Basically I'm saying the same as Davis but a bit slower.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:27 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Marc Shaw's DIY shows most of what you need to know but note that his car also has the airbag style horn ring which is not appropriate to a lot of UK cars.

Quick Reply: automatic indicator cancelling