Sponsored by:

F.....me sideways!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Polman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F.....me sideways!!!

Inspired by dfinnigan / Daves: Intake cleaning in the DIY section, I gently started to take the parts away (very good description Dave, thanks ) , when the RH manifold was on the table, and I looked down at the valves I did see something strange. On the "neck" there was some degrees of material that feel off when i touch it... hmmm! in all three "necks" I found this. Regarding to the pressure here during drive...how on earth can this be possible to hang around here for those little suckers?
Now I have to construct some sort off a cone for my vacuum cleaner to suck it up again ( valve is in closed position) Wonder how exiting those plastic parts are in the motor!! Anyone seen this before?

Last edited by Polman; 10-26-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:24 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Post a picture of what it is when you suck it out... carbon? How'd it get in your intake?!?
Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Stewart H
Advanced

I'm well impressed, your garage is tidier than my flat although I've got more car parts kicking about in the living room at the moment - just waiting to send them all off for refurbishment.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Carbon (and oil) will find its way into the intake system because the camshafts have 50+ degrees of overlap which means that the piston is pushing spent exhaust gasses out of the exhaust while the intake valve is opening so naturally some exhaust is pushed into the intake stream.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:55 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit O/T but did the air box unbolt easily? The reason I ask is that I aim to take my intake apart at some point but when I tried to remove the air box, the nuts felt like they would not turn without the mounts breaking. So I've put this job on hold for the moment.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 AM
porsche356sc
Intermediate

hi, i hade the same on my 90 c2, its the rubber + gasket on the rubber studd that have melteded. there are two ways to fix this by new injektions studds. or have small buchsning machined and pressed in the studd.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Polman
Pro

When I removed the air box, I understood that Dave was from an other Planet together with the Houdini’s! First the 2 mounts that "flexed", I did break the first one, luckily I work as an Spare part manager on a big Forklift company, here I found a huge selection of those little suckers!
To get the air box out, was to give birth to a very big baby. If your god at Kubrick’s cube, you wouldn’t get any problems !
Just follow Daves superb DIY, an everything should go smooth......

My rubbers looks good so I’m a little confused right now. If it’s rubber it will burn up since it’s like 4000degress Celsius in there. I was away the last days, but I will attack it tomorrow morning. Will take some pictures on what I suck up from there...

Quick Reply: F.....me sideways!!!