Sponsored by:

G50 tranny/gearbox stuck! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 PM
cccscotland
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry G50 tranny/gearbox stuck! Help!

Hi all, I've searched the history but can find no reference to anything similar. I tried to change out of 3rd and into 2nd but it wouldn't shift out of third. I managed to limp home and have a closer look.

Clutch is fine, as it does the same whether engine running or not. The stick can move from 3rd to roughly neutral, but at no point can you move the gearstick from left to right, and hence into 1st and 5th. Pulling back towards 4th and there's something solid stopping it. When I do this with the engine on, there is a momentary whine (3rd syncro?) but it is in neutral. Clutch down, push forward and it selects 3rd, but doesn't feel right - too loose.

I've been under the car and looked at the linkage, and can see no issues. I've even disconnected the shifter where it goes into the box and tried to move it manually, but it's no different.

Any bright ideas before I resign myself to dropping the box? Are there any gearbox plates that can be removed to give inspection access in situ?

Car is a 1990 C4

Thanks for any help,
Matt
Old 01-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drop the lube out of it and have a look see at whats in the lube ?
If you see a bunch of junk in the lube ...
Old 01-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It sounds like an internal problem with the shift fork or operating sleeve. In any case, you'll need to pull it apart to diagnose it.

Quick Reply: G50 tranny/gearbox stuck! Help!