Turtle Mark III

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turtle Mark III

My Turtle is in the shop for winter surgery. The carapice was still attached this evening but should be removed tomorrow (that's the roof for you non-bio majors out there).

My race class was created 2 years ago and only 2 of us have been racing regularly for that time. Last year a number of cars were built to run next year and more are coming this winter. I've been 350 lbs overweight (yep, a pig of a Turtle) and decided if I'm to be competitive next year the weight has to go. In addition the stock 5-speed gearbox was giving me fits (difficult to shift from 2nd to 3rd and crummy ratios compared to the competition). So, the only way to fix it is to have some more mods done (i.e, to throw money at it).

Were getting rid of the sun-roofed roof, removing the bolt-in cage that was welded in, removing the wiring and starting from close to a clean tub. I'm not having it dipped, it doesn't seem that the undercoating that would not be scrapped off is worth the price differential. I am having a G50/32 put in (it's in route from Germany now). A Fabcar shifter will replace the stock mechanism too. A new wiring harness will be put in and MoTeC data acquisition with a dash to replace the factory gauges. The side and rear windows will be replaced with Lexan (front was already done).

The target weight is 2100 lbs. We are starting at 2446 lbs. Today's box of stuff removed (90% wiring related) was 71 lbs.

I promise pics soon with more as it get put back together (yes, this post is simply a teaser 'cause we all know it's no good without pics). I forgot my camera tonight... but the folks at the shop took some, I just don't have them yet.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like a great winter project. Please keep us posted.

Marc
Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get the gearbox since our last thread from a couple of days ago? Where did you source it?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes to the gearbox question. I had planned to take a more simple route (and a bit less expensive) and simply buy a used 6-speed gearbox and then re-do it with th desired ratios. After being unable to locate a reasonably priced used box, and taking a hard look at the gear ratios I desired (and seeing that a /32 was darn close in 1-5 and only a bit taller than desired in 6th) I asked the shop to check on availability of a /32. One was located (a factory rebuild) from Porsche in Germany. It's in transit now.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess your shop has good connections in Europe, good for you!!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:37 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Keep us posted Tom! Pics pics pics!

Quick Reply: Turtle Mark III