Sponsored by:

Rotate Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rotate Engine?

I am getting ready to start my first valve adjustment. What is the best way to rotate the engine? Is it from the fan pulley nut? If so, it looks like I will need to tighten the belts first since the belt just slips on the pulley when I turn the nut with a wrench.

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Remove one set of spark plugs, use a wrench on the crank pully bolt or tighten your fan belts and rotate the engine. One trick for loose belts is to push on the belt to make it tighter while turning the fan bolt. If you use your fingers, don't pinch them.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Thanks Geoffrey. I have spent so much money on different things, the above may help me avoiding another purchase and the time it would take to get the wrench. I will need the fan pulley wrench, however it would be better to push off till next month.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Cool. Just ran out and tried it. The engine turns easier than I expected. I thought it was going to be very difficult with the spark plugs installed. I have new plugs, however I read it may be better to do those after the valve adjustment to make sure no debris gets falls in.

Quick Reply: Rotate Engine?