electrical gremlin after drive-off

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:18 PM
ketel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical gremlin after drive-off

Gang,

For a while now, I have been getting an annoying alarm go off when I fire up my '89 C4. Usually, after about 30 secs upon ignition, the yellow "anti-lock" light (lower left hand portion of the cluster) and a red light (upper right) comes on along with 5 piercing alarm blasts. The big red alert "!" light comes on also at the top of the cluster (which I just switch off).

My mechanic says little about it and that it's just a fault. I had the car in for a major a couple months back, but he did not bother to address it.

Would love to solve this little bugger if anyone has any experience with it.

thanks for any suggestions.

ketel
Old 12-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happens if you turn the key to the on spot , no cranking , let it sit at on for say 30 secs , then fire up the motor ? Does it still go dong ?
Old 12-16-2007, 02:04 AM
Anthony Hutt
Intermediate

I got a similar problem in my 90 C4. I replaced ABS control unit and checked electrical connections and also reconditoned alternator but my problem persists.Normally when buzzer comes on suddenly or all warning lights come on I turn off engine and restart. This seems to alleviate the problem but it will suddenly come back and some of the lights or all come on again. So far still trying to solve this annoying problem.The cancel function also does not work.

rgds
Anthony Hutt
Perth, W.Australia
Old 12-16-2007, 02:44 AM
gfunk
Pro

Originally Posted by ketel
Gang,

For a while now, I have been getting an annoying alarm go off when I fire up my '89 C4. Usually, after about 30 secs upon ignition, the yellow "anti-lock" light (lower left hand portion of the cluster) and a red light (upper right) comes on along with 5 piercing alarm blasts. The big red alert "!" light comes on also at the top of the cluster (which I just switch off).

My mechanic says little about it and that it's just a fault. I had the car in for a major a couple months back, but he did not bother to address it.

Would love to solve this little bugger if anyone has any experience with it.

thanks for any suggestions.

ketel
If you do nothing do the lights and alarm go off after a couple of minutes? Mine does this occasionally, I believe it is related to the hydraulic brake system not reaching the required pressure fast enough.

Greg
Old 12-16-2007, 08:21 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

I have a similar issue on mine, although the buzzer doesn't always go off and it only happens on the first start-up of the day. My mech did a quick fix by spraying 'something' onto the belts at the back of the car ( sorry, I am inept and it was late ), which cured the problem for a week or so. The something at the back was making a sqeaking noise, which is why I popped down to see him last week. The 'spray' he used cured the squeak and the electrical fault. He says it is just a battery charge warning, which I remember Adrian lists in his excellent book ( battery delivering less than 9.5 ). I will have it properly looked at in the new year.

I wouldn't rush out to replace anything expensive until you have checked to see if it is just an electrical gremlin. The PO of my car had just replaced the ABS control unit before I purchased it to cure the same issue, to no avail; this was uber the advice of his main-stealer ( no surprise ). I bet you will find it is something very simple and cheap. When I see Ollie the mech again in the new year I will let you know what the permanent fix is.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:29 PM
ketel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Indycam
What happens if you turn the key to the on spot , no cranking , let it sit at on for say 30 secs , then fire up the motor ? Does it still go dong ?
Haven't tried that, but will give it a go and let you know the outcome...
Old 12-16-2007, 08:30 PM
ketel
Advanced

Originally Posted by gfunk
If you do nothing do the lights and alarm go off after a couple of minutes? Mine does this occasionally, I believe it is related to the hydraulic brake system not reaching the required pressure fast enough.

Greg
Greg - If I do nothing, the alarm just sounds its 5 blasts and the stops. THe lights stay on regardless of whether I hit the "!" cancel button or not...

ketel
Old 12-16-2007, 10:30 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the lights and buzzer should vanish as soon as you go over 2000 rpm (they do in mine) so try to bleep the throttle and see if it goes away.

Rob

Quick Reply: electrical gremlin after drive-off