964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDAS and Brake fluid warning light ??

Old 12-15-2007, 05:16 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDAS and Brake fluid warning light ??

Did the search think I've found the problem.. A leaky high pressure pump.. found some drips on the battery.. Fixable?? new pump?? expensive?? brake pedal is stiff but I got the car home. crazy thing is that this happened just after My battery died. I'm sure I'll need to have the system bled now so off to the shop.. drive it or tow it?? Is it best to go with a new pump or should I consider one from a car being parted out?? Lots of questions sorry and TIA HAPPY HOLIDAYS.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:42 PM
D_Schultz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't give you any advice as far as driving or towing, but I drove mine almost a year with no working pump. I would suggest you consider a new pressure switch & o-ring before you go replacing the whole pump assembly. Can get those parts for just a bit over $100. A new (or salvaged) pump is gonna be a whole lot more pricey!

'93 C4
Old 12-15-2007, 07:23 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I just tun the key the pump will run and run and run.. I also think it's leaking from the brake line leading into the top of the unit.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:14 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like a faulty pressure switch. The pump should not be allowed to run for more than 2 minutes because the heat generated will cause the plastic piping to melt - then you've got a massive fluid leak to contend with - as well as no brakes.

As has been mentioned above, the switch and sensor can be replaced relatively inexpensively whereas the pump itself is mega$$$$.

I have developed a habit of waiting for the pump to stop before I start the engine. That gives me some confidence that all is well - and it avoids aby problem with alarms being generated.

Regards

Dave
Old 12-16-2007, 07:18 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also read up on the extended bleeding procedure as in Adrian Streather's book.. there are a lot of additional steps.. but necessary. The air reservoir might need a bleed or the block accumulator (Intergalactic Space Mod-u-la-TOR) might need a bleed to. The sequence is pretty specific, but it gets the job done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PDAS and Brake fluid warning light ??