Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car #3 for you to teach me about (aka - Rennlist PPI Squadron)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 06:45 PM
Nat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
But that could happen with any car, right?
True, especially the way I drive. Haw haw. I'm just so accustomed to AWD that I'm going to need some time to wrap my brain around the idea of not buying another one. There are some fairly steep, hilly neighborhoods around here whose streets get slick. I wonder how well it'd climb?

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
I agree with your thinking on traction, weight bias and driven wheels, too. And you could also improve rear-end grip by simply detaching the rear sway bar; the additional compliance will help keep the rear planted. Add the right tires and I think it might be doable.
I don't think I'd detach anything, but winter tread would be a must.

p.s., I've been wandering around the house saying "joey bagadonuts" for the past week or so. "Bagadonuts" is cracking me up!
Old 12-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need to go look at many C2s and C4s , drive them , try them out , see what they are like from behind the steering wheel , imho .
Have you gone to a dealership and taken out new porsch ?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by Indycam
You really need to go look at many C2s and C4s , drive them , try them out , see what they are like from behind the steering wheel , imho .
Have you gone to a dealership and taken out new porsch ?
Okay, you know what? I really appreciate your input; you've been very informative and helpful, but you keep telling me to look at as many 964's as I can. You have to understand that I do not live in a highly populated area such as Southern CA. I have only seen one C4 around this small town one time last year, and he wasn't stopping. The nearest one for sale is 4 hours away. After that we're talking about having to go out of state.

I also have to work during the week and I have two young children who need me here to drop them off at and pick them up from daycare, school, gymnastics, and all the other duties of family-hood. So for me to drop everything, hop on a plane just to poke around in some guy's car just isn't going to happen. If I am going to haul my butt across the country to look at a car, I need to be ready to have it inspected and buy it on the spot if I like it. I neither have the time nor the money to be jetting around the country just to kick tires.

I would love to drive around some new $85,000 997's and some $120,000 turbos, but that is not what I intend to buy this year. If I could afford those right now I would not be looking for a 17 year old used 964.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

I was not suggesting you test drive a new one to buy , just get a feel .
Anyway , if you are trying to figure out C2 vs C4 and what you are willing to give up good money for , talking with others might not do the trick . Seat time and your own judgment , would be my suggestion .
Best of luck and good bye .
Old 12-14-2007, 10:33 PM
Nat
Instructor

I was not suggesting you test drive a new one to buy , just get a feel .
Anyway , if you are trying to figure out C2 vs C4 and what you are willing to give up good money for , talking with others might not do the trick . Seat time and your own judgment , would be my suggestion .
Believe me, if I had access to myriad Porsches then I would drive them all. Since I do not, I have to rely on what info I can get otherwise. That's part of life in a small town.

So do you all think a brand new 997 feels the same as a 964? If you all think so, then maybe I'll go to the dealership.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:45 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Aw c'mon Indycam, don't go away mad. Nat was only sharing some perspective, (albeit, in a fairly emphatic manner) but your participation is alway welcomed, e.g. "I really appreciate your input; you've been very informative and helpful" -Nat.

IMHO, I think test driving a modern 911 would be beneficial if you haven't had much seat time behind the wheel of such a car. The weight bias produce a different handling and driving experience, yet, one which is surprisingly stable. AWD vs RWD is actually a more subtle difference.

The difference is not like going from 2-wheel to 4-wheel drive in your SUV. You may feel the front pull as you turn at an intersection and the steering may be just a tad heavier while parking. Other than, it's hard to feel a difference.

$0.02

P.S. Detaching the sway bar, Nat, isn't some sort of crazy mod I'm suggesting. That's actually the kind of adjustment a lot of racers will make at the track to race in the rain along with changing tire compounds.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Nat
Instructor

Yes, I can be a bit forward and abrasive at times. Sorry Indycam. You have taught me a lot in a short time and I appreciate that.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:51 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
So do you all think a brand new 997 feels the same as a 964? If you all think so, then maybe I'll go to the dealership.
My "newer" car feel a whole lot different then my 964
You really should look at the 996's also as they are getting down in the 20's for some years. I know the air cooled crowd will say they are crap but dont believe all you read on the internet.
Just be sure to get a PPI and try to find one with a CPO or aftermarket warranty. I would say that on any Porsche you buy however getting a warranty on a aircooled car would be hard or maybe impossible to do. They are newer and a bit larger car but way more powerful and more of a comfortable daily driver type car.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

The red car in question changed hands last year for around 29k after being offered for sale for a fairly long period of time on all the usual places. Looks very nice to me a PPI is a must.

Quick Reply: Car #3 for you to teach me about (aka - Rennlist PPI Squadron)