Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car #3 for you to teach me about (aka - Rennlist PPI Squadron)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 12:57 PM
Nat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car #3 for you to teach me about (aka - Rennlist PPI Squadron)

I am amazed at the detail upon which you guys pick up and the knowledge that you collectively have. You're like my Advisory Committee.

This car is an '89 C4 with under 33K miles. It is for sale with the Cup wheels and not the D90's. The seller is asking $28,500. I'm not big on Guards red exteriors but the red interior is hot. What do you think?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love it. Interior reminds me of a Ferrari or an Alfa. And an '89 too, no airbag crapola to worry about (because occasionally they become problematic on these cars). Sport seats, too.

This car has popped up before, some time ago, maybe at a dealer in the Midwest? I wouldn't have forgotten that interior color.
Squeeze him on the price if you get serious, he's a little on the high side.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:43 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks tidy. Don't forget to ask the seller to throw in a pair of sunglasses too though!

Looks like an very early C4 as no dial to raise or lower the spoiler from inside the car - you have a switch under the bonnet instead, but I wouldn't let that put you off! This will also have a single mass flywheel versus the double mass flywheel, which may give a bit more drivetrain noise too.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:44 PM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The low millage is why the price is high. With a good PPI I would offer 25K.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:51 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think all of those pictures are from the same time frame. The drive way looks different. The wheels are different. It still looks like a nice car! Can't see if there is a distributor vent kit. May want to ask if the distributor belt has been changed. I like the sport seats.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
Can't see if there is a distributor vent kit. May want to ask if the distributor belt has been changed.
Don't be put off if the distributor vent kit hasn't been fitted - it's not expensive to be done and something to bargain the price with.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:05 PM
rodtds
Advanced

Get those D90's!! the red only LOOKS faster, watch out for the po po.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:08 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
Don't be put off if the distributor vent kit hasn't been fitted - it's not expensive to be done and something to bargain the price with.
Agreed. The kit, itself, is cheap and easy to install. The belt does need to be changed every 50k miles, or so, and will definitely need changing if it's original. That's a bit more difficult a task.

Not a show stopper, certainly. Just an observation.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:12 PM
meek
Burning Brakes

Not that I am biased, but red interiors are HOT. Not so sure about red on red?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:15 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If anything its bright
Its hard to give a value as these things are up and down these days. Its more then I would pay but for someone that wants a lower mile example it may be reasonable.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:36 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
And an '89 too, no airbag crapola to worry about (because occasionally they become problematic on these cars). Sport seats, too.
Agreed--simple is better. Also, these cars do not come with the faulty dual-mass flywheel, so as long as it doesn't leak oil, you might be looking at a mechanically sound car.

That interior is fantastic in a retro kind of way but it might hurt you if you ever wanted to sell it quickly. It's kind of a great, limited edition concours car that you'd like to keep clean and bring out for shows like a Speedster or slantnose. If you DO buy it, you may want to cover the seats and keep them pristine.

What about the silver c2? Do you need a C4? With snow tires, a C2 might be doable as a year round driver. I have bimmer buddies who swear by them, here, in the Midwest.
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/397221-sorrry-to-have-to-sell-my-964-a.html
Old 12-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

All else being equal, I personally would pay the extra few grand to have 33K miles vs. 150K miles. But that's just me.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Nat
Instructor

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
Do you need a C4? With snow tires, a C2 might be doable as a year round driver. I have bimmer buddies who swear by them, here, in the Midwest.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397221
Hmmmm. I've lived in snow country so long and have had 4WD and AWD cars so long that not getting one was not even on my radar. The front-engine FWD cars around here do "okay" on ice with studded tires. Since non-C4 911's are rear-engined and RWD, the weight bias is over the drive wheels. I wonder if that means they'd do "okay" on ice? It would open up the market a whole bunch, that's for sure. I'd hate to have one break loose within an icy roundabout and end up on top of someone's landscaping though.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:15 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like a special car. Mid 20s would be a fine price even in a down market.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:40 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nat
I'd hate to have one break loose within an icy roundabout and end up on top of someone's landscaping though.
But that could happen with any car, right?

I agree with your thinking on traction, weight bias and driven wheels, too. And you could also improve rear-end grip by simply detaching the rear sway bar; the additional compliance will help keep the rear planted. Add the right tires and I think it might be doable.

Quick Reply: Car #3 for you to teach me about (aka - Rennlist PPI Squadron)