Sponsored by:

Little help for a first time Porsche Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:11 PM
Guards964
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help for a first time Porsche Owner

Guys, I've been a reader of the forum for quite a while now and thanks to many of your posts, I am finally making the jump. I am buying a 1992 964 with 58,000 on the clock. I've had it checked out, but Saturday will be my first time actually seeing and driving the car. I'm drinving it back about 7.5 hours to Nashville, TN. I just want to get some advice on what I can have in my future as far as work needing to be done, or just advice on the year and model. again, thanks in advance for anything you have to offer. Look forward to being an active member on the site.

Scott
1992 964 Guards Red 58,000miles
Old 12-11-2007, 10:49 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Scott:

Welcome. I purchased mine with 42,xxx miles, and just crossed 62,000. So far just routine maintenance, except for one failure of the spoiler controller, one broken AC belt (fault of the PO's dealer repair), and one Christmas tree event (needed new ignition coils). I am just getting my first small oil leak (some hard runs last week seem to have triggered it), but performance and fuel economy are impressive. Pretty good for over 5 years of ownership. You should not own the car unless you know and trust a mechanic or DIY most of your work. YMMV, but the 964 has proven a pretty good investment for most of us.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 PM
t-shark
Advanced

Hey! I have the spoiler controller broken as well. In short I can open and close it manually (with controller in dashboard), it opens automatically when going over 80 km/hr but it doesnt go down automatically when reducing speed. What could b the problem with that?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Guards964
Instructor

That's good to hear, I have a good friend that was a Porsche Mechanic, I I used to work for BMW as a tech. Hopefully between the both of us I should be able to fix most problems. When you bought the porsche with 42k had the clutch been changed, and if not, have you had to change it yet?
Old 12-11-2007, 11:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm assuming you had a PPI done by someone familiar with Porsches and/or 964's?

Did you verify the installation of the distributor venting kit (~$10 parts).
If not, I would strongly suggest having the distributor belt inspected/replaced.

I'd also recommend Adrian Streather's book on the 964.

Best of luck and welcome
Old 12-12-2007, 12:32 AM
Guards964
Instructor

yes, I had a PPI done by a local porsche tech, and plan on doing one myself once I get there. I bought a round trip ticket just in case. The distributor has been upgraded, new plugs/wires, new fan, and the air box has been drilled. It has no oil leaksIs the book you're recomending something I can get local, or is it better to get online? Thanks for the cheers.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:36 AM
Guards964
Instructor

[ATTACH]Name:  IMG_0067[1].jpg
Views: 419
Size:  87.4 KB[/ATTACH]I used to race open wheels, so only a coupe would do.
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2007, 02:20 AM
1990-964
Pro

Hello,

The car looks very nice. I would straighten out the lower grill snd have a look in that area for any possible damage from whatever it was the PO hit whether it be just a driveway or something else. Also do the stock wheels come along with it? The Boxter wheels are not the original set. You should do well with a MY 92 car, all of the important updates should already been done at the factory like the distributor vent and better sealing heads, and better DMF. Congratulations and if it happens as it does to many of us, enjoy the ride down the slippery slope
Old 12-12-2007, 08:45 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Guards964
yes, I had a PPI done by a local porsche tech, and plan on doing one myself once I get there. I bought a round trip ticket just in case. The distributor has been upgraded, new plugs/wires, new fan, and the air box has been drilled. It has no oil leaksIs the book you're recomending something I can get local, or is it better to get online? Thanks for the cheers.
Link to the book:
http://www.bentleypublishers.com/product.htm?code=gp64

A copy of the workshop manuals is also a nice to have. They come up from time to time on eBay, may still be available thru Porsche parts (I'd contact Jeff at Sunset Imports, the Porsche parts at cost + 15% folks http://www.sunsetimports.com/go/pinqry/ ), and you can sometimes find a set on the PCA Mart, Miscellaneous section (that's where I found mine).

Another popular upgrade is to go from the stock H5 headlights to the OEM H4 headlights.
Simple DIY which has been discussed documented here before, complete kits are available from several folks.
http://schatzmotorsport.com/order/pr...cat=255&page=2
http://vertexauto.com/ShowItem/3934%...20Package.aspx

And, in case you were wondering about that 'missing switch' above the radio, it's the rear fog light. Another simple DIY mod (did it on my 94 RSAmerica), looks great:
http://www.rsamerica.net/articles/me...ht_article.htm
http://schatzmotorsport.com/order/pr...cat=255&page=1

Usually a search will find an answer to just about any question; if not, just post it and someone will have the answer.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Welcome! You might want to see what is involved in the 60K maintenance; mine was done at 58K before I bought it. IIRC, it's about $1K.

Doc
Old 12-12-2007, 11:51 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 57 Posts

Scott-

The car looks great and if everything works out welcome to the Guards Red 964 club - regardless of what others say the Red ones are faster even sitting still

I agree with everything previously posted. Adrians book is a must and H4's are a great upgrade. Another area that seems to crop up is A/C recharges and a conversion to 134 if not already done.

There were 3 known Porsche recall's on the the 964's that apply to this vehicle. I would check any service records available to see if these have been addressed. If not you may have to perform these on your own or check with a local Porsche dealer to see if they still can be performed.

- Rear Heater Blower Resistor Replacement 89-92 - This is a $20 fix that takes 10 min to perform. Failures of this part lead to engine fires!!
- Replacement of Cruise Control Linkage Rod 89-92
- Steering Noise & Excessive Freeplay 89-93

PM me and I will foward the recall information to you
Old 12-12-2007, 12:18 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually what Stephen meant was the red ones are FASTEST sitting still!! Regardless, she looks to be in great condition and will give you many years of happiness I'm sure.

Welcome, these are a great bunch of people who give freely of their time, experience and knowledge.

Adrian's book is a must as even though I thought I had done a lot of research on 964's, when I read Adrian''s book I realized how little I actually knew.

All the best,

Neil
Old 12-12-2007, 12:58 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The red ones are the fastest. Looks great, and enjoy. I also agree with the suggestion about adrian's book. A set of shop manuals wouldn't hurt either. Enjoy.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:09 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Another vote for red.....

Old 12-12-2007, 01:40 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and I'm jealous. That's the color combo I'm looking for too right now. I'm seeing a wide range of prices, would you mind sharing what you have worked out on the price or would you pm me at least. Thanks, Roger

Quick Reply: Little help for a first time Porsche Owner