Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this malfunction be the new spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Could this malfunction be the new spark plugs?

I am pasting my previous mail with the electric malfunction that I´m now having in my 964, the new plugs that we put in the car are the Bosch super 4 that the british and german Bosch catalogs say that are the ones for our cars.
My mechanic wants to try with the old plugs (Berus, that have about half life in them) for fear that this new plugs are the reason for this christmas tree effect I´m having now.
I bought this plugs because the FR5 DTC are unavailable here and the official service wants U$S 20 per plug (don´t know which brand or model)
could this be the answer?

"today I picked up my 964 after 2 weeks in the mechanic (new starter, new rear discs, new plugs, valves adjustement and oil leaks solution)
after having a short ride (with my mechanic as a passenger) and finding everything fine I took the highway to go back to my work.
I was doing around 110 miles/h with A/C on (it`s very hot in december here) and my lights also on when suddenly all warning lights went on - and i mean every one, but the engine seemed to be normal
I took the first exit and parked in a gas station nearby, then I waited around half an hour trying to reach my mechanic by phone to no avail.
After that I tried to start the car again and it started perfectly and normal, then I went straight to the official service but they were close (for inventory) and back to my mechanic shop to find that he started his week end early today
So I parked the 964 and went to work with my DD
I am really annoyed and puzzled with this malfunction
Old 12-10-2007, 09:19 AM
darth
Burning Brakes

not likely the spark plugs - did the xmas tree affect occur before any of this work was done? try misting anything high voltage (i.e. sparkplug wires and boots, coils, coil wires and boots) with water from a spray bottle while the engine is running in a dark place. the water incourages arcing to ground. Do the easy stuff first - getting a spray bottle and misting the wires/caps/coils is a lot easier than getting at 12 sparkplugs to change them out!

hope this helps
bill
90c2
Old 12-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bill, the christmas tree effect came after the starter was rebuild and the spark plugs changed
Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 462 Posts

Most frequently if a spark plug connector is not fully seated onto the plug, it will cause your problem. Ask him also if he used grease on the threads of the spark plugs - that's a no-no!
Old 12-10-2007, 10:53 AM
dougn
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

yup...make sure the plug caps are securely on the plugs. ask me how i know.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it could be the plugs .
Ask the guy if he can watch the ignition system with a tester .

Quick Reply: Could this malfunction be the new spark plugs?