Sponsored by:

964RS clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 08:46 PM
alfredhu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964RS clutch question

My 964RS clutch feels different from 964 C2 & 993. It feels lighter due to spring back force is lighter and stop point is lower. Is this normal because of the lightweight clutch package? Any other parts I need to check?

Alfred
Old 12-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

The clutch in your car is essentially identical to the 92 on 964/993 cars. The stop point is adjustable and there is a "helper spring" in the clutch assembly that is adjustable as well that can make their appear to be some difference between cars, not to mention wear on the pedal bearings, master and slave cylinders being different between cars.

If your car is not slipping under load and the clutch is not engaging at the top of the pedal travel, I would forget about the observation.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:50 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

It will be lighter simply because it is new, old clutches generally get heavier with miles as the parts wear thinner. Pretty much every one we fit has the same effect.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:06 PM
alfredhu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear all:
Thank you for your reply.

Hi Cupcar:
Could you explain more in details about two areas are adjustable...how and where?
1. the stop point
2. helper spring

Hi Colin:
Yes, my RS just passed 6,000km and replace a new cylinder due to sitting too long in the garage.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

There is a socket head screw to the right of the brake pedal that adjusts the booster spring for the clutch pedal. The nominal adjustment is 6 mm between screw and pivot. Also the pedal should not pull back toward the driver with a force of 30 N.

This spring is an over center spring that helps the driver disengage the clutch i.e. it makes the pedal softer. This spring theoretically slows take up after a shift since the clutch plate's spring must overcome the over center spring, thus Porsche removed this spring from the pedal cluster on the Carrera Cup racers. I therefore set mine so it has minimum effect, but this makes the clutch harder to depress.

There is a stop built into the floorboard which limits the downward travel. The travel should be 145 to 155 mm measured at the pedal center. I check by making sure that reverse and first also engage easily from neutral without grinding, which would indicate insufficient disengagement of the clutch.

Quick Reply: 964RS clutch question