How do you lose weight in a 964

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MassGuy
LOL the internet is to funny.......
Thanks to clowns that don't know enough to recognize good advice when it smacks them in the forehead.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Southampton76
Racer

Drop the pop-up rear spoiler and replace with a fibreglass or carbon fixed spoiler. Remove the rear seats, seat belts, top and bottom. Remove shelf, carpets, replace with RS carpet. More weight reduction, exhaust system, seats, soundproofing. and, yes, your wheels are probably too heavy and the way to reduce unsprung weight is lighter wheels. Don't knock ilko, he offered you some solid advice and he knows what he is talking about.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:04 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Hey dude get used to it - even when you KNOW WTF you are talking about you'll get some know-it-all rip you a new one. Ask me how I know. Anyhoo, everyone is correct, pretty much every newbie question has been covered exhaustively so spend some time thinkiing about good search words, and search the forum. It's pretty much been all covered. I'd say weight, remove, and pounds would be a good 3 word start for search terms. You'll find a halfway decent sheet of components and weights with that search. I have removed just about everything humanly possible for setting up my car to race. You might have some specific things in mind, search for those, or just ask.

As to this forum it's generally pretty friendly but it's expected you do your homework and diligently search a bit.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:14 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N51
All that from one of the nicest, most knowledgeable, and patient guys on the 964 forum.
Thanks, Noah. I'm going to have to credit my old man for teaching me tolerance and where to draw the line. He used to tell us, I don't mind if my kids crap all over me, but when they start to tell me I stink, that's when I get mad.

Okay MassGuy, Since we're all one big, happy dysfunctional family, I'll chime in with my own perspective. The really big weight savings comes from removing the spare tire, getting some lightweight wheels and tires (you could shave up to 10 lbs per corner if you do your homework) and swapping the stock seats for lighweight race shells (60-80 lbs). And I'm not sure how heavily you rely on it but elimating the a/c system would represent another huge weight savings, as well.

Sounds like you've already tackled the exhaust, which is a good place to start, but most of the other changes are nickel and dime. Sure, getting rid of visors, rear belts, heater blower, engine insulation, trunk carpet, all adds up but it's those big ticket items which will make the noticeable difference while maintaining a finished look.

$0.02
Old 12-09-2007, 11:25 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

The bumper supports w/shocks weigh ~20lbs each, but if you take them out, you will do more damage in a minor fender bender.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:47 PM
MassGuy
Racer

I will look at some of these and decide which I will do. I will use the search more. Thanks for your input guys.

Sorry to the thin skinned folks I didnt mean to get you all riled up.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:10 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carbon fiber !
Old 12-10-2007, 11:17 AM
TR6
Drifting

Sorry to the thin skinned folks I didnt mean to get you all riled up.
LOL. Remember the first rule of holes....

...when you find yourself in one, stop digging.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:36 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Thanks Inko but I like my wheels. Does anyone who really knows what they are talking about have any advice?
Ha! This coming from a guy who installs his gas pedal upside down: https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...58&postcount=1 and the Carrera sticker backwards (see avatar). Nice job buddy

If you ever decide to become less ignorant on the topic of wheels, you can start reading on unsprung mass here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_weight

Old 12-10-2007, 12:38 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
...The really big weight savings comes from removing the spare tire...
Whats the story with the spare tire removal. Ive read somewhere its factored into the structural rigidity of the car when it comes to front end collisions. Any real truth in this or is this a weight savings primarily considered for DE, AX and other track events and less for street use?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:47 PM
MassGuy
Racer

Why are you guys attacking me? I dont understand?

Did I do something to upset a click?

Hey I am sorry if I made you get all mad it was not my intention.

Man this is a tough place. I am out of HERE.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:49 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stephen,

I don't believe there's a definitive answer to your question: Are you safer with the spare in place or removed in the event of a front-end collision? It's a personal choice.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:50 PM
MassGuy
Racer

BTW I did install the gas pedal upside down. Someone here pointed it out to me so I fixed it. Why do you want to make light of a mistake I made? I still laugh at myself about it. I could tell you a few others. All in all I still enjoy the tinkering.

Man you guys are not to much fun. You cant even laugh at yourselves. You have to get all serious and start pissing fire.

I just like Porsche 911's I never said I was a PRO.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

BTW I did install the gas pedal upside down. Someone here pointed it out to me so I fixed it. Why do you want to make light of a mistake I made? I still laugh at myself about it. I could tell you a few others. All in all I still enjoy the tinkering.

Man you guys are not to much fun. You cant even laugh at yourselves. You have to get all serious and start pissing fire.

I just like Porsche 911's I never said I was a PRO.
Bottom line is don't ask for free advice and then dismiss it so rudely by asking for advice from someone "who knows what they are talking about."

Everyone here knows that Ilko knows what he is talking about and is an upstanding member. So when you insult him, it is kinda like insulting the group. BTW...did you notice his avatar? Looks like the track to me. My guess is he knows more than the average Porsche owner.

Plus by not knowing what you are doing/talking about, your credibility drops like a rock. Who will want to answer your questions if you insult the respondants?

BTW...I checked the upside down pic. Seems like a reasonable error for someone without much racing knowledge as it does kind of "fit" that way, heel-toe be damned.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:13 PM
MassGuy
Racer

Talking

I am sorry ILKO ..... I hope your feelings are not hurt to bad. I did not mean to sound so coarse. I should have takem more time to think and type. I did not realize everyone would be so upset.

Its funny to see that some men even have the same instincts as women. I know that when you upset a women amonst women they all jump on you as is the case here.

Whatever happened to MAN to MAN. If ILKO has or had an issue he could handle it himself. Dam evolution has us all hyped up on estrogen..........

C'mon NOW that is funny!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: How do you lose weight in a 964