Sponsored by:

Oil Thermostat stuck Open?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 03:10 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Oil Thermostat stuck Open?

Has anyone run into a scenario where the oil thermostat is stuck open? Now that the weather is cooler in the NW, my oil temp really never gets to the first 1/3 mark on the gauge...the lines are warm in the front fender, so oil is flowing forward to the cooler... but I would think it should stay in the engine longer.

I dont' want to be running the car too cool.

Has anyone run into this, where the thermo is failed open? I would think that would be a preferred failure mode... but not sure.

thx
Old 12-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen this on the porsche , but thats not to say it does not happen or that I think its unlikely .
I guess from your post , that is what has happened .The thermo can be taken apart for a look see .
Could be a bit of grit has the thing stuck open . A cleaning might get you a working thermo again .
Old 12-09-2007, 09:04 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the temp rise from cold to the 8 o'clockish mark and then fall back when you first drive the car? If so, that would indicate the t'stat is still closed when cold and opening as expected. If it never rises and then falls, it's probably stuck open.

When mine failed, it opened as usual, then closed while I was driving it, FWIW.

Quick Reply: Oil Thermostat stuck Open?