Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF ; Great 964 Upgrade ! In the TOP 5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:22 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys, the emissions look similar to mine in the last shot, .......I wonder if Derek would be so kind as to post any sots of his emissions for me, after/before his dyno run. Be interesting for me on an MOT side to see how it would fare over in the UK for us.

PM me if you want Derek.

Cheers

Kevin.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by springer3
Your NOX numbers are not correct - I don't think you can have zero.
That's probably 'cause he bribed the guy doing his emissions test with a case of beer so it would pass...
Old 12-27-2007, 12:03 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
That's probably 'cause he bribed the guy doing his emissions test with a case of beer so it would pass...
My guess is they don't actually measure it as all that is required to pass inspection in Texas is CO and HC. It probably just shows up on the form because the equipment is capable of measuring it. Just a guess

Plus, I could probably get by with a lot less than a case of beer with those yo-yo's.

Springer, I wonder if the difference in HC is due to yours being on a dyno and mine not? Also, I'm running 93 octane and the stock chip.

I now have a cat bypass and will re-test in May with that setup.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:20 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
...Springer, I wonder if the difference in HC is due to yours being on a dyno and mine not? Also, I'm running 93 octane and the stock chip. ...
Idle is not on the dyno. It must be either the test equipment (a ppm is pretty tricky to measure), or else my cat is a little less used up than your's. I am showing 62 K miles, and most of those are on the highway. Also on 93 octane and stock chip.

It's a hoot getting mine done - the garage does the police cars, and the guy loves to rev the Porsche motor while the cops are standing around waiting their turn.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:43 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
Idle is not on the dyno. It must be either the test equipment (a ppm is pretty tricky to measure), or else my cat is a little less used up than your's. I am showing 62 K miles, and most of those are on the highway. Also on 93 octane and stock chip.

It's a hoot getting mine done - the garage does the police cars, and the guy loves to rev the Porsche motor while the cops are standing around waiting their turn.

Ha. Yeah here, you can get your car inspected at the Jiffy Lube type place of your choice or most garages since there is no dyno requirement. The inspectors are usually one small step above burger flipper. I enjoy watching them pop the trunk lid while I stand there silently and let them walk around and open it. The look on their faces is always priceless.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 PM
jeff522
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Mo. unless you live in K.C. or St Louis I don't think there an emissions test. If there is I have never been aware of it. Here it's the old fashion safety inspection; tires, lights, brakes, horn, and the like. The place I go lets me stay in the car.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:46 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm happy to say that my car just passed Texas (Denton County) emissions today. Cat bypass, stock primary, secondary bypass, stock chip. Interesting that it passed with the cat bypass but I had to switch back to the stock chip to pass. Third time's the charm....

The following test was done on a rolling dyno....
-------------------ASM test-------------------
---------------------1622 rpm-------1462 rpm-------
-------------------Measured--------Measured-------Spec 1622/1462 rpm
HC (ppm)----------- 59 ----------- 53----------------120/124
CO%---------------- 0.62 -----------0.62-------------.67/.69
CO2%---------------14.1 ---------- 14.0----------------n/a
O2%---------------- 0.8---------- 1.0--------------- n/a
NOx (ppm)-----------844-------------877--------------- 848/937
Dilution %-----------14.72-----------14.62-------------- >6.0

Interesting that Denton county measures NOx but in the area of Texas that deep_uv is in, NOx apparently isn't measured. Denton county also uses a rolling dyno. Different counties do it different ways, I guess...
Old 12-28-2007, 06:56 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

It amazes me how some people will go on a public forum, make claims about a product without knowing a thing about it. Making a claim that there is no gain from the MAF kit (without any proof to back it up) is just as bad as vendors making performance claim without any proof to back it up.

We were able to do a before and after test! Results will be posted in a new thread. If you still think the earth is flat, don't bother checking out the new thread.

New Thread
Old 12-28-2007, 07:27 PM
gfunk
Pro

Originally Posted by fast951
It amazes me how some people will go on a public forum, make claims about a product without knowing a thing about it. Making a claim that there is no gain from the MAF kit (without any proof to back it up) is just as bad as vendors making performance claim without any proof to back it up.

We were able to do a before and after test! Results will be posted in a new thread. If you still think the earth is flat, don't bother checking out the new thread.

New Thread
Thanks for putting together the before/after data. I believe the question regarding the MAF was to try and determine what portion of any gains obtained were attributable to the MAF itself vs modifications to the timing.

So now we know that the total gains achieved were ~20HP. I assume that since you require 93 Octane that a portion of these gains are due to timing advance. Presumably you could also obtain some gains with the existing AFM by modifying the timing and fuel maps. So the question remains does the MAF itself offer any additional benefit or could you achieve similar benefits by modifying the timing with the stock intake?

Greg
Old 12-28-2007, 07:36 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

The MAF kit is hardware and software, it's a package. We are not selling a MAF sensor by itself! A MAF sensor by itself will not work on the 964.
We are offering a kit as a package! We provided the before and after!
Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 PM
gfunk
Pro

Originally Posted by fast951
The MAF kit is hardware and software, it's a package. We are not selling a MAF sensor by itself! A MAF sensor by itself will not work on the 964.
We are offering a kit as a package! We provided the before and after!
Yes, I understand what you are selling. It doesn't change any of my questions however.

Greg
Old 09-02-2016, 05:58 AM
Leftfootbrake
Track Day

pulling this thread back from the dead. is there a more inexpensive option to do this maf conversion that makes 20whp?

Quick Reply: MAF ; Great 964 Upgrade ! In the TOP 5 ?