Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your engine undertray....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 09:33 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in the process of fitting an undertray to my Race car (seriously) and I run one on my street car. It does not touch the silencer if we are talking about the secondary muffler. There is enough movement in the mounting of the secondary muffler to move it slightly.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

I keep mine on the race car, and my street car... there are specific rules in racing that keep earlier 911's from having underbody paneling to improve aerodynamics... but the 964 came with it so why not keep the advantage. Ever see the underside of a 959?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:22 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
I'm in the process of fitting an undertray to my Race car (seriously) and I run one on my street car. It does not touch the silencer if we are talking about the secondary muffler. There is enough movement in the mounting of the secondary muffler to move it slightly.
Yes I meant the long, cylindrical one across the back*. I'm guessing mine touches as the car has been lowered a lot and therefore the mounting for the muffler needs adjusting. I took my tray off because the result of it touching was that the car smoked when on track (probably due to oil drips caught in the tray). I'll probably get round the touching problem by replacing it with a cup pipe but will leave the tray off in the summer to keep the weight down.

*I didn't mention primary or secondary as I've heard some refer to it as a primary on the basis that the cat is not a muffler.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Mjonzo
so i take it that the general consensus is to whip off all that undertray? i thought it was meant to add stability at high speed..for the aerodynamic flow?...or is that all-sales talk?

The only plus point i can see with it, is that it keeps everything clean under there.
Do you remove all the panels or just the rear one under the engine?
With it off you really keep it (the engine) cleaner, at least I do. Since you have better access to the area under it. The tray is more like an dirt/oil trap...

As far as aerodynamics... my 996TT can go up to 190mph... no engine undertray in that car...

Anyway... no tray here, nor secondary muffler... better access to the plugs when maintenance time comes around...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My purpose is to build a difuser to create downforce under the car since I run a stock rear wing.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:47 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removing the undertray saves weight, I read 6kg.

Quick Reply: Does your engine undertray....