Sponsored by:

question about 964 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 09:30 PM
kirkhampf
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about 964 suspension

A friend ahd fellow pca de driver has been having problems with the bolts at the base of the koni struts on the front suspension. He had sent the struts to koni for revalving, the mechanic replaced them and he took it to an alignment shop. The shop called and said they couldn't align with the bolts in place and suggested replacing them. THey did and later that week those bolts bent like bananas and nearly killed him. The guy can't find the originals and my friend is having difficulty sourcing them. Do these bolts have eccentrics on them or are they just hardened bolts? Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:04 PM
RedlineRay
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The bolts that hold the front shock to the knuckle are (2) allen bolts 12mm x 1.25 x 90mm and should
have a 12.9 grade rating. I have never seen these bolts bend like a banana. The upper bolt hole should be
slotted to allow for camber change. It is hard to pass judgement without knowing exactly what happended and if the Koni Struts are defective. What I can say if these bolts are not the same as the factory in size and specification your friend is in the wrong shop. I would recommend that you post a inquiry on a recommend alignment shop for racing in your friends area in the Competition / Cup Car Forums here on Rennlist.

BTW: The upper shock mount is off set and if it installed incorrectly, it can result in a extreem amount of positive camber. If the shop was not aware of this, they may have modified the mounting bolts to achieve camber specifications.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Last edited by RedlineRay; 11-19-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Quick Reply: question about 964 suspension