Sponsored by:

Airbag - seatbelt warning lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 03:09 PM
sgelber
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag - seatbelt warning lights

on my 1991 C2 the seatbelt and airbag warning lights are stuck on even though I have no computer faults. Every once in a while the airbag light will blink but thats it. Any help I can get with this would be greatly appreciated.

Stan
Old 11-13-2007, 05:17 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

If you're lucky it's part of the PCB on the back of the clock - see writeup on 964.co.uk... If you're un-lucky as I was - it's MUCH worse than that - but I also lost all dash instruments and other fun stuff like cruise. But mine started with the Airbag and Seatbelt lights after a rough RailRoad crossing.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RallyDogRacing
.. If you're un-lucky as I was - it's MUCH worse than that - but I also lost all dash instruments and other fun stuff like cruise. But mine started with the Airbag and Seatbelt lights after a rough RailRoad crossing.

Were you able to sort out the dash instrument issues in the end?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:43 PM
sgelber
8th Gear

Not yet, I pulled the clock and cleaned all the contacts but the problem still persists, thanks for asking
Old 11-17-2007, 04:17 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sgelber
Not yet, I pulled the clock and cleaned all the contacts but the problem still persists, thanks for asking
The write-up is about resoldering the connections after some disassembly of the clock. Cleaning contacts just won't resolve the issue.

Also, did you erase the code from memory? this HAS to be done, otherwise the lights will stay on.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:38 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

not that big a deal. Go to "search" and you will find references. You need to have the fault cleared. Most likely the front impact contacts needs to be cleaned. Any competent mechanic can do it cheap if you can't DIY. If you go to a Porsche Dealer they will tell you you need a bunch of unnecessary parts replacements. Cost me less than $100 to fix because I did not have a Hammer to reset the codes. The seatbelt light automatically comes on when there is a fault with the airbag lights. It's a Porsche safety factor. These airbag systems only have a 20 year shelf life. The clock fix referenced is also a possible source and is more complicated a DIY.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:33 PM
RallyDogRacing
Rennlist Member

In my case the problem ended up being a serious multi-line short, which was encased in a section of the main chassis harness up over the driver's feet. In a nasty section of wire which was embedded some sort of vibration resistant material akin to asphalt. One of the things it took out in addition to the instruments was the Hammer link-up.

So in my case which was extreme it was WAY beyond the basic fail. Final remediation was the creation of a new sub-harness to all the affected instruments. It was a lower-cost alternative to a total re-wire.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:42 PM
sgelber
8th Gear

Default No Fault Codes

Unfortunately I don't have any fault codes for this problem, I will try to resolder the contact points to see if that clears the problem but I fear the worst, that it is a problem in the wire harness
Old 11-28-2007, 03:36 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try cleaning the contacts on the front sensors first. then get fault codes cleared from system.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:47 PM
sgelber
8th Gear

Default Where are

Where are the front impact contacts located?

Quick Reply: Airbag - seatbelt warning lights