18 inch Speedlines - WTB? - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

18 inch Speedlines - WTB?

 
Old 11-09-2007, 09:59 AM
  #31  
tjr
User
 
tjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cornwall - UK
Posts: 835
Default

Originally Posted by vhanzon View Post
Hmm.. I don't get it.. The wheels are shipped from Germany, no? So there are no possiblilties for us to buy them here in Europe not having to go through the stealership?

Or possibly even better: Have an American RLer purchase the wheels, repack them as "used auto parts" and ship them back to Europe. No way to get around the shipping costs but maybe the VAT. Shipping is quite expensive though, which is understandable if you ship boat anchors overseas, especially those made of unobtanium .
Ah the old question "why do we pay more for European-made goods than the Amercians do." If you look at Porsche's new car pricing, it's probably what, 40% cheaper than in Europe? Well proportionally, their parts cost 40% less too. The US is their biggest market so I can only think that although their margins are lower in the US, the total volumes still make a massive positive contribution to their bottom linne - and it obviously works, as we all know...

I had already thought that some kind RLer could buy them in the US and then ship them over to Europe, but that's a lot of work for somone (as you say they are hardly small!) and I believe we still have to pay VAT and duty even on used car parts if they are brought in from outside the EC.

Unfortunately, I think the cheapest route to new Speedlines is to order them in the US and pay the associated costs.
tjr is offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 11:01 AM
  #32  
V
Super User
 
V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,744
Default

Ok tjr, I got it. I know parts are cheaper over there, but the fact that these are big and heavy ofcourse makes things more complicated.. I'm taking my GF on vacation to the US this summer and I already have a list of parts that I am going to order from the stealer in the US.. How about OEM big ovals for the WB 993? I'd guess at least 100euros cheaper if I buy them there and bring them with me back home. Strange way of sourcing parts for your pcar but thats the way the market seems to be..

Thanks again and have a nice weekend.
V is offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM
  #33  
tjr
User
 
tjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cornwall - UK
Posts: 835
Default

Good plan. Interestingly when I contacted Sunset Porsche (who seem to be the cheapest source of Porsche parts in the US) about new front calipers for my 965, they said they'd have to order them direct from Germany and then ship them to me in the UK for an additional $200, which took way most of the benefit to me. So I suggested they just get them sent straight from Germany to the UK. Needless to say they said Porsche woudn't let them do that...

Ridiculous and not exactly kind to the environment...but it gives you a good excuse to go to the US on holiday!

Have a good w/e.
tjr is offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 12:54 PM
  #34  
Freejack
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany, Ruhrvalley
Posts: 74
Default

to all you guys in europe:

contact peter of the company cup sport ltd: office (at) cup-sport.de

he has very good contact to the scene, is a porsche driver and I am sure, that you could find a solution for getting fine stuff.

he just sold the kw comp2 to me and also other parts like kerscher wheels.

go for it, buy porsche parts in germany and with the saved money have a good time in the US.

have a nice weekend.
frank
Freejack is offline  
Old 11-09-2007, 04:09 PM
  #35  
V
Super User
 
V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,744
Default

Originally Posted by Freejack View Post
to all you guys in europe:

contact peter of the company cup sport ltd: office (at) cup-sport.de

he has very good contact to the scene, is a porsche driver and I am sure, that you could find a solution for getting fine stuff.

he just sold the kw comp2 to me and also other parts like kerscher wheels.

go for it, buy porsche parts in germany and with the saved money have a good time in the US.

have a nice weekend.
frank

Frank this is good info and it also answers the PM I sent you. So, Frank is the guy to contact? So you sourced the Kerscher's directly from him? Is that better than through their homepage? . Can he source OEM speedlines as well?
V is offline  
Old 11-10-2007, 04:32 AM
  #36  
Freejack
User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany, Ruhrvalley
Posts: 74
Default

send an email to him, but let him a few days, because he has moved his company last week and he lives out of boxes.

original speedlines are really hard to find, the last I saw were sold by € 2.800.
for me, they are too heavy and, more important, it is more and more hard to find spare parts. means, if you damage them, you got a kind luxory scrap.

frank

Last edited by Freejack; 11-10-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Freejack is offline  
Old 11-13-2007, 12:59 PM
  #37  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 17,069
Default

Originally Posted by 38D View Post
They do crack. Most everyone in the 964 cup crowd has cracked at least set of speedlines. There are two center styles, one with an extra supporting rib in the casting that seems to be stronger and less prone to cracking. I will say that for street driving, I think they are fine. But for any track use, I would look elsewhere.
These would be the first generation speedlines made in 1991/1992. They also had the stem were the casting and wheel come together vs in the center of the opening. These were a different casting than the ones used on the 94 turbo as you mention. This would be a design flaw associated only with these earlier wheels. However, the 94's should crack no more than any other cup style wheel as they are made of the same material and have almost the identical design except for the 965.362.124.01 & 965.362.126.01 models which have the thick center and thin outer part that looks the same from the front.
cobalt is offline  
Old 11-20-2007, 11:42 AM
  #38  
ferraripete
User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC/San Diego, CA
Posts: 271
Default

Originally Posted by MitchB View Post
I've searched...

I will be receiving a new to me '92 C2 in a month or so. I want to put 18 inch wheel tire setup on, and for me, it has to be the three piece SpeedLine, or copy with the same look and light weight. No heavy / soft RH copy.
A true Speedline cup wheel is the preference, but realize they are made of unobtainium, so what are my options?
I've seen that AP Design sells a same design wheel, but with the dollar being crushed against the Euro, and shipping - I don't see this as an option. Does anyone import these?

Is there an avail option in the US, or do I shop Ebay until some SpeedLines show up?
it never ceases to amaze me as to the extent of peoples willingness to level claims or simply derived assuptions as to the build or performance quality of of a performance part (wheels in this case) in a public forum. we should be very careful as there are certainly lives and business that can be effected and that may or may not be fair.

you state the desire to find 3.6 speedlines and then go on to say that the "heavy and soft" rh wheel would simply not do. i find that funny knowing what i know about rh quality and how they compare to what i had always considered the racing standard (true bbs racing wheels)...the rh 3.6 is a seriously nice wheel and as a true 3 pcs. modular, can be custom sized for nearly any application or offset. additionally, i would be interested in your position on the material differences in metalurgy and manufacturing between the speedline and the rh?

when you describe the wheel as "soft", are you refering to a wheel that will work harden w/ use...let's hope not as that would be laughable not to mention dangerous. whould you bet money that the rims for either could not possibly be supplied by the same manufacturer? i would keep close tabs on my money if i were you!

simply put, you should not let the often uninitiated claims of some people on the web to create what effectively becomes head trash for you, to drive your decision making whether it be wheels or other.

both the speedline and the rh are superb wheels but both will surely succumb to new york style pot holes...with tire profiles where they have gone, they all will take a beating in a new york minute (pun intended!!).

for my money, i do think highly of the rh wheel as it can be ordered as a true custom wheel and can be purchased at GMP peformance. they have been in the business forever and really are super people to work with and would stand by you in the event you were to encounter some odd issue. the principle at GMP also has a good many years running around race tracks in scca and other sanctioned regional and national level events so he really has some basis to handle the rh wheel as a true premium part.

i hope my comments are not taken as a rant but our porsches are obsessions for many of us where we choose parts carefully. we all believe that only best players play! i would place the rh wheel in that category in looks and performance.

best,

peter c. brinzey
ferraripete is offline  
Old 11-20-2007, 11:48 AM
  #39  
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,223
Default

Originally Posted by ferraripete View Post
it never ceases to amaze me as to the extent of peoples willingness to level claims or simply derived assuptions as to the build or performance quality of of a performance part (wheels in this case) in a public forum. we should be very careful as there are certainly lives and business that can be effected and that may or may not be fair.

you state the desire to find 3.6 speedlines and then go on to say that the "heavy and soft" rh wheel would simply not do. i find that funny knowing what i know about rh quality and how they compare to what i had always considered the racing standard (true bbs racing wheels)...the rh 3.6 is a seriously nice wheel and as a true 3 pcs. modular, can be custom sized for nearly any application or offset. additionally, i would be interested in your position on the material differences in metalurgy and manufacturing between the speedline and the rh?

when you describe the wheel as "soft", are you refering to a wheel that will work harden w/ use...let's hope not as that would be laughable not to mention dangerous. whould you bet money that the rims for either could not possibly be supplied by the same manufacturer? i would keep close tabs on my money if i were you!

simply put, you should not let the often uninitiated claims of some people on the web to create what effectively becomes head trash for you, to drive your decision making whether it be wheels or other.

both the speedline and the rh are superb wheels but both will surely succumb to new york style pot holes...with tire profiles where they have gone, they all will take a beating in a new york minute (pun intended!!).

for my money, i do think highly of the rh wheel as it can be ordered as a true custom wheel and can be purchased at GMP peformance. they have been in the business forever and really are super people to work with and would stand by you in the event you were to encounter some odd issue. the principle at GMP also has a good many years running around race tracks in scca and other sanctioned regional and national level events so he really has some basis to handle the rh wheel as a true premium part.

i hope my comments are not taken as a rant but our porsches are obsessions for many of us where we choose parts carefully. we all believe that only best players play! i would place the rh wheel in that category in looks and performance.

best,

peter c. brinzey
Peter C. Brinzey, CEO, RH Wheels
pcar964 is offline  
Old 11-20-2007, 12:19 PM
  #40  
LA964RS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LA964RS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,300
Default

I've got a set of 18 Ruf Wheels FS....less than 1000 miles on them + Dunlop Sport Race tires. Lovely bits and look excellent on the 64...PM me.
Attached Images  
LA964RS is offline  
Old 11-20-2007, 12:35 PM
  #41  
ferraripete
User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC/San Diego, CA
Posts: 271
Default

Originally Posted by pcar964 View Post
Peter C. Brinzey, CEO, RH Wheels
lol...i wish! my porsche and ferrari would be decked out in cool wheels for sure!
ferraripete is offline  
Old 11-20-2007, 12:36 PM
  #42  
ferraripete
User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC/San Diego, CA
Posts: 271
Default

Originally Posted by LA964RS View Post
I've got a set of 18 Ruf Wheels FS....less than 1000 miles on them + Dunlop Sport Race tires. Lovely bits and look excellent on the 64...PM me.
that really does look the business especialy w/ the duck tail!!
ferraripete is offline  
Old 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM
  #43  
aircooler
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
aircooler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: County Wellington, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,270
Default

I have a set of RH wheels, and I will not buy them again.

Sure they look nice, but I think that the Speedline wheels are a much better quality wheel.

I have had problems with "3" of the 5 RH wheels that I have had.

But my main complaint is the total lack of Factory support. The only authorized RH dealer in the US that I can find is GMP, and you will find no help there! GMP will not sell you RH parts, they will only offer to rebuild your damaged wheel... maybe.

When I saw what GMP were selling damaged and imperfect RH wheels on their website for, I had no interest in sending them my damaged wheel (s). Who pays like 85% of new for a damaged/imperfect wheel?

I actually found a Canadian dealer for RH locally, but they did not even know what I was talking about when I tried to explain to them what an RH 3.6 turbo wheels was. I even quoted the RH web brochure.



I will be looking for a set of 3.6T speedline (or "speedline look") wheels in the next year as my 911 project starts to come together. I won't be looking at more RH wheels. I don't have the time to invest if there are any issues, and my experience has shown that there defiantly will be. I would love to try the Kinesis wheels (3 pc supercup?). I know there is Kinesis issues right now with their recent purchase, but hopefully that passes.

Last edited by aircooler; 11-21-2007 at 03:25 PM.
aircooler is offline  
Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM
  #44  
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

 
cobalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 17,069
Default

I will say that the speedlines are a solid wheel compared to the aftermarket brands. Any 18's are tough to deal with, with low profile tires around my area and I recently had a situation where I hit a crack in the road with my speedline and a friend had an RH speedline look wheel hit the same crack and totally mangled his RH without any damage to my speedline. I cannot say the impact was identical but can be fairly confident that the speedlines outer barrel would sustain a higher impact than a comparable RH or Fikse. I have bent one of my speedlines however the impact was so great I was surprised it did not explode. Instead it was a minor out of roundness of the barrel and was easily repaired.

I don't think RH are poor quality and they surely are not cheap Chinese cast wheels, however, their design is such that they are lighter and therefore more susceptible to cracking or bending on poor roads like we have in the NYC area. I have a set of Fikse's that I use for the track and I don't think anyone would say Fikse is a cheap product, however, I would not use them for street use unless I was sure I was going to drive on flat pot hole free roads.

In all for street use I find these cars drive better and one could prevent the likelihood of any damage occurring if we stayed with 17's. Then any of these manufacturers products would be adequate.

You can go with speedlines but at the cost of a set new or used you may be better off buying the RH's and replacing the barrel if it gets damaged and still have $$ left over.
cobalt is offline  
Old 11-20-2007, 03:33 PM
  #45  
TheOtherEric
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
TheOtherEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,861
Default

To echo Cobalt's comments: I had a set of RH Cup AG wheels and that were a smidge lighter than the speedlines I'm selling, but the rims were far weaker. I hit a modest pothole and got a huge dent in the RH rim. It was ugly.

My speedlines have done fine in city driving.
TheOtherEric is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 18 inch Speedlines - WTB?


Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: