Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Freejack
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Not currently, why?
because of your mentioned above sentence:
I can think of worse things to do to your 964...

never mind, maybe I understood you wrong !!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

Easy, guys. Don't go that way...
First, thanks for all the responses.
IMO, in the auto industry, reputations are earned. There have been several references to the RHs being both heavy and soft. I can't comment on the truth of those claims as I have zero experience with them. That being said, there is a reputation of less than ideal, and there are better options, so I am not considering them at this time.

The genuine Speedlines aren't my first choice either - only because of the cost. I think to consider them a bad choice for the street is flawed because the factory mounted them on street cars - not just Cup (Race) cars - the 3.6 Turbo comes to mind.

I'm not budging on the look. Other wheels may be superior in terms of weight, cost, and availability. I saw a 3.6 Turbo S, with the "Speedline for Porsche" wheels at Rsport III last weekend. The look is a must have.

Thanks for the info on suitable alternates - Velocewheels or Kerscher - I will check and see if they work for me.

Last edited by MitchB; 11-07-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:21 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Sunset Imports in Oregeon is a wonderfull Porsche dealership. No state sales tax here is the prices for a brand new set of Speedlines from the factory in Germany via Italy!
These are the silver Mettalic set, the polished ones are around $600 more total!

8Jx18 Silver Mettalic, polished rim flange $973.51
# 96536213600

10Jx18 Silver Mettalic, polished rim flange $1,103.26
# 96536214000

I got this set for my 968 turbo S replica because I too had to have a close as factory look!
They were $4,480 to my door with 4 Porsche boxes included free of charge!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:48 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by boost feen
Sunset Imports in Oregeon is a wonderfull Porsche dealership. No state sales tax here is the prices for a brand new set of Speedlines from the factory in Germany via Italy!
These are the silver Mettalic set, the polished ones are around $600 more total!

8Jx18 Silver Mettalic, polished rim flange $973.51
# 96536213600

10Jx18 Silver Mettalic, polished rim flange $1,103.26
# 96536214000

I got this set for my 968 turbo S replica because I too had to have a close as factory look!
They were $4,480 to my door with 4 Porsche boxes included free of charge!
What was the lead time?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:19 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Why do you say the centers are prone to cracking? This is not true by any means.
They do crack. Most everyone in the 964 cup crowd has cracked at least set of speedlines. There are two center styles, one with an extra supporting rib in the casting that seems to be stronger and less prone to cracking. I will say that for street driving, I think they are fine. But for any track use, I would look elsewhere.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:01 AM
V
Drifting

Mitch, as a side note, I really like the look of your black wheels with the polished lip . You might want to keep them and use them for track

Originally Posted by MitchB
Easy, guys. Don't go that way...
First, thanks for all the responses.
IMO, in the auto industry, reputations are earned. There have been several references to the RHs being both heavy and soft. I can't comment on the truth of those claims as I have zero experience with them. That being said, there is a reputation of less than ideal, and there are better options, so I am not considering them at this time.

The genuine Speedlines aren't my first choice either - only because of the cost. I think to consider them a bad choice for the street is flawed because the factory mounted them on street cars - not just Cup (Race) cars - the 3.6 Turbo comes to mind.

I'm not budging on the look. Other wheels may be superior in terms of weight, cost, and availability. I saw a 3.6 Turbo S, with the "Speedline for Porsche" wheels at Rsport III last weekend. The look is a must have.

Thanks for the info on suitable alternates - Velocewheels or Kerscher - I will check and see if they work for me.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:17 AM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I got mine in 3 weeks, because they had the fronts back ordered! I believe they have lots of rears in stock still. So you have to wait for fronts!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:03 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=MitchB;4755875]I've seen that AP Design sells a same design wheel, but with the dollar being crushed against the Euro, and shipping - I don't see this as an option. Does anyone import these?[QUOTE]

Don't buy from AP Design - the wheels they show on their site on the cars are real 3 piece wheels not the wheels they will sell you. There is one picture where they show them off the car in the showroom - those are the ones they will sell you. I know this because I had an email conversation with the owner of AP Design. The wheels they sell are one piece and made by Keskin, which are the cheapest copy of the Speedlines available (with only 32 fake bolts compared to 40 real ones on a Speedline). Keskins have had very mixed reviews about their quality and are very heavy indeed - 13kgs front and 15kgs rear compared to 9 & 11kgs for Cup 1s.

The one-piece Veloce wheels from PWS seem to weigh about the same as the Cup 1s, have the full 40 (fake) bolts, look almost identical (the rims aren't as brightly polished as a Speedline or an RH). I know of several people in the UK who have them and who like them - one person has even sold his Speedlines and bought these instead as they are much easier and cheaper to maintain! However as I don't believe they are sold in the US they'll cost you around $2000 plus shipping & tax assuming you buy them in the UK and ship them to the US. The Kerschers have 35 real bolts (they're 3 piece) and seem to be available in the US:

http://www.supremepowerparts.com/pro.../_Kerscher_KRS

They will cost around $3000 plus shipping and tax from Europe. The only thing I know about them has been posted on this site, which seems to be very positive.

Good luck!

Last edited by tjr; 11-08-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 AM
V
Drifting

"They will cost around $3000 plus shipping and tax from Europe. The only thing I know about them has been posted on this site, which seems to be very positive."

So the actual price difference is like a couple of hundred bucks?? On Kerschers homepage (you could order directly from them) they quote around 2400euros for the set which is ~3500usd.. Seems it's not worth it to me. I'd go with the real thing . Is the 4.000usd deal still open? Any left in stock? Cheaper for Europeans?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:11 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vhanzon
So the actual price difference is like a couple of hundred bucks?? On Kerschers homepage (you could order directly from them) they quote around 2400euros for the set which is ~3500usd.. Seems it's not worth it to me. I'd go with the real thing . Is the 4.000usd deal still open? Any left in stock? Cheaper for Europeans?
I think the actual cost in the US (from Sunset) seems to be around $4500 and then you've got to add on international shipping (plus VAT & duty for us Europeans) which I would imagine would add on another $1000 - so a total cost of around $5,500, which is a lot more. However that is less than half what a UK Porsche dealer would quote, so I can see why someone in Europe who wants them would buy them in the US...
Old 11-08-2007, 12:27 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Location: Dallas, then Annapolis - now Laguna Beach CA. Well, not so fast - I'm back in Dallas. For good!

Did a bit research on the Kerschers. They appear to be a very close copy. True three piece. They are avail in a wide variety of sizes and offsets. I didn't even address ordering from the factory for reasons cited...
Their website lists 3 US suppliers. I called one yesterday. They are avail, but never in stock. Around 4 weeks lead. Cost to my door was in the $4500.00 USD range... Not cheap.
At that price, the Speedlines from Sunset may be preferrable. I simply had no idea they are still avail new.
Still more research to be done before I pull the trigger, but I'm encouraged that there are some options...
Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM
MitchB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Mitch, as a side note, I really like the look of your black wheels with the polished lip . You might want to keep them and use them for track
Thx. These were a one off from Kinesis. They experimented with 17 inch wheels with the "Drop Lip" rims and 18 inch wheel center. Rim supplier stopped making the rim halves in 17 (but not the 18 and 19) before many were made. Don't think the 17s were ever sold, but I talked them into building a set for my early offset 944. More expensive than 18s, which I should have bought.
Will sell the car in the Spring with the phone dials. These wheels will be sold seperately...
Old 11-08-2007, 01:05 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mitch..

Not sure of the exact Speedline model you are interested in, however, take a look at this group.
www.tramont.fr.

I nearly contracted them to build me a set of 993 RS Cup Replicas to my specs. The cost was over $5.5K to my door. I got lucky, a set of OEM RS Speedlines popped up in NC and I grabbed them within minutes of their posting. I may be interested in selling but not for much less than what I paid. My understanding is PAG has no inventory for the fronts but plenty available in stock for the rears.

Let me know if I can help.....
Attached Images   
Old 11-09-2007, 08:29 AM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by tjr
I think the actual cost in the US (from Sunset) seems to be around $4500 and then you've got to add on international shipping (plus VAT & duty for us Europeans) which I would imagine would add on another $1000 - so a total cost of around $5,500, which is a lot more. However that is less than half what a UK Porsche dealer would quote, so I can see why someone in Europe who wants them would buy them in the US...
Hmm.. I don't get it.. The wheels are shipped from Germany, no? So there are no possiblilties for us to buy them here in Europe not having to go through the stealership?

Or possibly even better: Have an American RLer purchase the wheels, repack them as "used auto parts" and ship them back to Europe. No way to get around the shipping costs but maybe the VAT. Shipping is quite expensive though, which is understandable if you ship boat anchors overseas, especially those made of unobtanium .
Old 11-09-2007, 08:32 AM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by kdurg
Mitch..

Not sure of the exact Speedline model you are interested in, however, take a look at this group.
www.tramont.fr.

I nearly contracted them to build me a set of 993 RS Cup Replicas to my specs. The cost was over $5.5K to my door. I got lucky, a set of OEM RS Speedlines popped up in NC and I grabbed them within minutes of their posting. I may be interested in selling but not for much less than what I paid. My understanding is PAG has no inventory for the fronts but plenty available in stock for the rears.

Let me know if I can help.....
Keith, the tramonts look nice but they are more for the 993 crowd as they are a 993 RS speedline copy, just as you said.. PM me with asking price of your speedlines and some pictures if you have.. Are they 993 speedlines?

TIA

Quick Reply: 18 inch Speedlines - WTB?