Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb DIY alignment at the track ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:08 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dumb DIY alignment at the track ?

I had to get my car aligned at the last min. before a track event tomorrow at the dealership. I gave them the spec and specifically asked them to get as much adjustment out of the bottom as possible. Asked for -3.0 front

Picked up the car tonight and they said all they could get is -1.8 on the right w/ the camber plate maxxed out and set the left to the same. **I have had 3.0 on each side up front before.

I then pull the right wheel and it looks to me like I have plenty of room at the bottom adjusment for more camber....so they apparently ignored my request to get the camber out of the bottom adjustment.

The question is....with a camber gauge at the track (will try to get level) if I max out the bottom adjustment for more camber and then match the left side, how badly am I going to throw everything else off? Will this probably cause toe out or toe in?

I am thinking this is probably a dumb idea and to just drive w/ what I have but am a little pissed it wasn't done right....but it was a dealer so.....

I'm not sure how all this works, but I am sure I can get more camber out of the bottom adjustment. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=camber
Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

If I was in your situation, I would certainly re-do it when I got the chance (even if I didn't have a camber gauge, I'd just peg each strut to the max negative camber). Even if you're slightly off, it's highly unlikely you'd notice any difference! But, you will notice the difference if you have too little camber overall (tire wear especially)

Jim, in my post you referenced, you asked me about tire wear - I notice no issues with tire wear. Quite the contrary still occurs - I wear out my sidewalls despite the fact I drive my race car back and forth to the track, AND I even drive it to work once a week!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:06 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Garrett, I was hoping you would chime in. It is a 3 day event, so I will probably leave it alone tomorrow and then dial more in for Sat and Sun.

I also still wear out the outside of the tire first.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

Fortunately I have a buddy who rotates my tires on the rims for $10/tire!!! It's like having a new set of tires!!!!!

Have a great weekend - sounds like fun!
Old 11-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd tend to agree with Garrett that I'd go ahead and adjust it using a manual gage (smart camber, etc.). I'd just note where I began. You will affect your toe by adding camber and going from 1.8 to 3.0 may be enough to affect the handling.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:08 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I did mine myself, don't worry too much, frankly if you use a 'L' ruler and a level (magnetic) you can measure pretty accurately as long as the ground is pretty flat. Just put the level on the ruler in the vertical position so you know you have it perfectly vertical (the L helps with this too), then measure the top from the rim to the ruler, and from the bottom to the ruler. Plug those values into the Excel sheet below, and you will get the camber number. This is a pretty down and dirty approach, but easy to do at the track and still fairly accurate. For toe, you need strings so thats a bit more complicated.

Here is a handy Excel spreadsheet to handle the trig for you:
http://www.gormanz.com/alignment2.xls

Here is a picture of the L ruler:

Quick Reply: Dumb DIY alignment at the track ?