Sponsored by:

H&R REAR SWAYBAR

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Default H&R REAR SWAYBAR

Has anyone tried the H&R 26mm rear swaybar?
I have a C4 and was thinking about this bar...
Any/All suggestions welcomed!
thanks guys
dwane
Old 10-30-2007, 06:43 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 204 Posts

Holy oversteering batman! 26mm, that's an inch thick!!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's difficult to say if it's a good or bad idea without a little more information.

- What suspension is currently on your car?
- What tires (brand/model/sizes) and wheels do you run?
- What tires pressures?
- What are your alignment specs?
- Under what conditions do you drive your car? Street only? Track? Sunny? Wet?
- How does your car currently handle?
- What is it that you hope the sway bar will do for your car's handling?
Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Dwane
Race Car

-H&R/Bilstein
-225front/255rear
-36psi fr/bk
-not sure I told the guy to align a little aggresive
-mostly street, 3 de's a year
I want to reduce understeer....yet I don't want to introduce oversteer!
thanks
IT'S a C4!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, I ran a big TRG only on the rear of my C2 and it became VERY neutral.

In fact I still have the matching front TRG still in my shop, even though the 964 has been sold. The TRG was pretty big, (22mm) but not that big! The front I have is a monster bar (25mm according to the website)
Old 10-31-2007, 12:25 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds like you have the right idea, Dwane. Fine tune with a sway bar--but without turning your ride into a tail happy sled.

That 26mm bar from H&R might be a bit too stiff. I've done some rough calculations using the following formula: Sway bar spring rate = K x {D4 / (L x A2)} where K = 1,178,000 (constant for steel), D = bar diameter, L = bar length and A = arm length. The numbers are exponents, e.g. A2 = arm length squared.

My calculations produced the following spring rates for various rear sway bars set at the middle position:

19mm 236 lbs/in
22mm 424 lbs/in
26mm 827 lbs/in

My suggestion is that you start with a 22mm rear bar and see if that doesn't solve the problem. The real culprit in your set up are your spring rates. Like most aftermarket spring sets, the H&R's feature rates which are similar front and rear. Many racing 911's use springs which differ by 200 lbs, e.g. 600/800 lbs/in front and rear. The relatively soft front springs is what gives these cars better turn in.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 10-31-2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I think a 26mm rear bar is way too big for a 911. I have a TRG bar (22mm) in the rear and it's too big (I'm at the softest setting and no longer have any more adjustment. The next hole is too stiff).

I believe you want to run the lightest bars possible.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:08 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agreed. The right solution is to find a lighter front bar but there aren't a whole lot of options.

Remind me, Mark, what spring rates do you use with your Motons?
Old 10-31-2007, 04:45 PM
Dwane
Race Car

So Joey, What are my options?
-Combine springs(greens front/reds rear)
-Softer front bar/stiffer rear (Who makes the bars?)
HELP
Old 10-31-2007, 05:21 PM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

The TRG (The Racer's Group) 22mm rear sway bar should be fine and you can probably get everything you need from SmartRacing.
I ran the TRG 25mm front along with the 22mm rear on my C4. With RS Coilovers (300/500 progressive springs) it was pretty neutral.

Start there, Dwane, and then see if you need to make additional tweaks.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:43 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

A few thoughts from my backwards spring world.

I ran 750/900 spring rates w/ my double JRZs and RS sways (22/19?, can't remember)....and have OS I coudn't dial out no matter what combination of sway and shock setting (I realize sways for mid-corner, shocks for entry/exit).

So...the drastic action was to go 900/750 with the springs (reversed)....and you guessed it US. However, I can dial it out (mostly) with the sways on full soft / full hard. Actually the car feels GREAT with this set up.

But....I am really out of adjustment if I get on a tighter track, so I mentioned to my shop going w/ something like 800/750...and they said to try a bigger rear bar instead.

A few weeks later at a suspension seminar at TPC I asked Mike Levitas (pro driver and owner of a very fast 964T) about my quandry and he agreed to put a bigger rear sway bar on the rear and to leave the springs alone. I remembered his exact words, "you can't get enough bar for the rear of a 964."

So.....still not sure what to do, but am thinking about buying a TPC, TRG, or H&R sway, probably TPC if priced ok since Mike took the time to help me....or taking Mark's advice and just leaving well alone.

Btw, it was pointed out to me that 997 Cups come w/ matching spring rates from the factory, front and rear are the same spring rate....although I know not a direct comparison to a 964, I thought it was worth noting.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
A few weeks later at a suspension seminar at TPC I asked Mike Levitas (pro driver and owner of a very fast 964T) about my quandry and he agreed to put a bigger rear sway bar on the rear and to leave the springs alone. I remembered his exact words, "you can't get enough bar for the rear of a 964."
Jim, I have to respectfully disagree with Mike L, with Chris Cervelli backing me up. My car is setup by Chris with RS bars and it certainly does not need a stiffer rear sway bar. If your spring rates are properly stiff enough, and I am not an advocate of your reverse setup, then the purpose of sway bars is for some added roll resistance and tuning the balance. If you have to run some crazy large bar, then your spring rates are not right.

That being said, there are some cars that have very different setups that go quite fast. The ultimate difference is that some "fast" setups are very easy to drive right up to the limit, and others are not.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by joey bagadonuts
Remind me, Mark, what spring rates do you use with your Motons?
Hey Joe,

It's either 1400/1700 or 400/700; can't remember.

Just messin' with you. I have a fairly soft set up, 700/900. It's not Cervelli-hard, but, dammit, it feels great for my relatively low skill level.

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Jim, I have to respectfully disagree with Mike L, with Chris Cervelli backing me up. My car is setup by Chris with RS bars and it certainly does not need a stiffer rear sway bar. If your spring rates are properly stiff enough, and I am not an advocate of your reverse setup, then the purpose of sway bars is for some added roll resistance and tuning the balance. If you have to run some crazy large bar, then your spring rates are not right.

That being said, there are some cars that have very different setups that go quite fast. The ultimate difference is that some "fast" setups are very easy to drive right up to the limit, and others are not.
Man, Evans' set up is just fine. I implore you, for the love of God, do not let him get any faster.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:34 AM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Larry. After putting much thought into this I agree that my answer lies in the springs, so when the time ($) is right I think I will move the front springs down to 800 from 900. I would move the rear springs up, but since I don't have a trailer, I think I will go a little softer. I-95 is hell to VIR. But as I mentioned, I will probably leave it be for a little while. I plan on coming out to Summit next weekend to visit you, Chris and Bob. Looking forward to a good/cold weekend there starting tomorrow.

Mark! LMAO, thanks, but you won't see me racing for another year at least...but hopefully before 2040, lol. Get your *** to Summit tomorrow!

Quick Reply: H&R REAR SWAYBAR