Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers door glass out of holder channel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Drivers door glass out of holder channel?

Last night while rolling the window down the door glass poped out of the lower rubber mounted channel attached to the regulator. After all these years I guess it is to be expected. Question...what is suppose to hold the glass into this channel? The regulator and motor seem to work fine but the window does have a little friction going up and down. Not enough to bind but enough to pull the window out of the channel obviously. Any help appreciated.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The window sits in a rubber , the rubber sits in a metal channel .
What holds all three together is friction .
On my 89 the channel got weak from rust and didn't hold the rubber tight , so the rubber didn't hold the glass tight .
Went down to porsche hawaii and bought a new channel and rubber , they had them in stock .
They were "cheap" for a porsche part .
Old 10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Indycam, is correct. You can try refitting the metal channel onto the glass with a thicker rubber glazing strip, or bond the glass to the metal channel.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Well, no rust on mine so I guess the rubber has just shrunk over time? The rubber is still stuck to the metal channel well so I may try a little glue in the rubber and stick the window back in. Or buy new rubber.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

OK Just to finish this up for anyone in the future. My frame detached itself from the glass for 2 reasons. First the frame had stretched open over about half of the length of it. It went from approximately 13mm OD to about 17mm in places. I assume from just normal ups and downs. Second, the rubber then filled with dirt from rain and washings adding grit to the rubber to glass bond...doesn't stick very well.

So, I cleaned the glass and rubber gasket and bent the channel back together and walla.....it is stuck back together..... for now. Hope it lasts and if not I will be buying a new channel and rubber gasket next.

Quick Reply: Drivers door glass out of holder channel?