Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I remove my climate control unit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I remove my climate control unit?

I have removed my AC compressor, condensor, dryer and all related piping (evaporator still in the car). I have removed all air servos (hard wired the flaps in a desired position). All of the heating is removed and my plan is to control the fresh air fan and oil cooler fan manually with toggle switches.

Will I loose any important functionality with my setup by removing the CCU?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:52 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Anyone?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:18 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The only non-obvious functionality that you lose when removing the CCU is the oil cooler fan, which you already know about. Have you tried operating the fresh air and oil cooler fans with a switch yet (i.e. before permanently removing everything)?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can remove the CCU without any significant problem. The only issue I had when I did it is the windhield steams up in the rain (I had also removed all the fans so no defroster). Since I no longer drive in the rain (slicks and no wipers), it's not an issue.

Is this for a track only car? You only need the oil cooler fan if you drive on the street. For a track only car, the oil cooler fan can/should be removed to get better air flow and cooling.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Thanks Jason and Tom
I drive the car to the track, at least for now, but that's the only driving I do on the road.
Running with MPSC's, so far not with slicks, I don't do any track driving in rain.

As for now, I guess I will need some kind of fan to avoid fogging up the windsheild to and from the track.
Tom, do you know how much weight you saved by removing all the fans (and the evaporator)?

I will try removing my CCU, does anyone know how to do the wiring to control the fans and oil cooler fan?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:16 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a DIY post on p-car.com that tells how to wire the fan to high. I might have the info for when I did it to my car too, I'll look. I don't have specific weight information. My car was about 2800 when I had a normal exhaust, AC removed, and heater bypass pipe (no fan in the back). When I dropped to 2500 lbs I did a lot of things - stuff behind the gas tank removed, fiberglass body, removed the lower dash, finished gutting the interior (was about 50% gutted for sound padding), removed sunroof and a few other things. I'd guess the fans & other stuff behind the gas tank was about 30 lbs.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:48 PM
skruggs964
Pro

If you're interested in selling the CCU....let me know!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skruggs964
If you're interested in selling the CCU....let me know!
It's for sale, unfortunatly the current exchange rate between swedish crones and usd makes it expensive to buy things for you. I have listed it here for $1.000 usd, shipping to Canada is $50 usd (based on 6 lbs, not sure about the weight of this thing).

You can allways make me an offer, but I will wait a month or so too see if I can get what I have listed it for.

I will send a PM with my phone number.

Quick Reply: Can I remove my climate control unit?