Sponsored by:

Oxygen lanbda sensor CEL

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:38 AM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Oxygen lanbda sensor CEL

After putting everything back together from my adventure of a valve adjustment I am getting an O2 sensor CEL warning (confirmed with Doug's software).
I've checked the following:
connected in engine bay
resistance across heater wires is ~8 ohms (two white wires)
sensor housing is grounded
when warm sensor produces voltage of 0.09 to 0.5 (black wire), and
Scantool shows O2 sensor reading of 89-90 at idle.

Is there something I missed? It was working fine before the valve adjustment and it seems that it should be working properly still. One thing I might add is that I sprayed it with PBBlaster to get it out and I applied antiseize when re-installing. Could either of those affect it?
Old 10-01-2007, 12:15 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank ,

The votage range from the O2 is showing a problem . Roughly the O2 should be switching between 0v and 0.8v .
The DME creates a fixed 0.45v "O2" signal if the O2 sensor has given up completely.

I would disconnect the O2 and take it back out and take a look .The O2 is not full of cleaning fluid ?

It may be that a new O2 is the fix . Ah well , could be worse !!

Geoff
----------------------------------------------------------------
KS400200,the oldest 964 on Rennlist,unless you know differently !
Old 10-01-2007, 03:22 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by frankvan
Is there something I missed? It was working fine before the valve adjustment and it seems that it should be working properly still. One thing I might add is that I sprayed it with PBBlaster to get it out and I applied antiseize when re-installing. Could either of those affect it?
The other thing/spot you have to watch out for reference oxygen contamination of the O2 sensor is when someone sprays the connector and pin contacts with a contact cleaner. This only applies to the OE and Bosch OEM plunge-proof sensors, although you shouldn't be running any other (i.e. generic) type anyway...
Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Frankvan, I just ordered one so I'll save you some time in case you find you need to order one. The best price I could find was Sunset at $140. The worst was my local dealer at $210. Part number is 965-606-126-01.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:56 PM
frankvan
Pro

The local parts place catalog shows two Bosch sensors applicable - one for $130 and one for $90.

The $90 looks like it might be the Bosch universal 3 wire sensor.

Further to this, has anyone used a Bosch universal 4-wire sensor? The only difference I can see is that the 4th wire provides a dedicated ground signal rather than relying on the housing to ground through the exhaust. He has the 4-wire Bosch universal for $60 and says if it is compatible it might give the ECU a "cleaner" signal. (He has fitted the 4-wire type to other 3-wire type vehicles that had signal problems and had good results)
Old 10-01-2007, 07:40 PM
deep_uv
RIP

The original OEM sensor on my cat is a 3 wire.

Quick Reply: Oxygen lanbda sensor CEL