Sponsored by:

Bosch Hammer

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:51 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bosch Hammer

Will the Bosch Hammer work on a 1990 C4 that has been "chipped"?
Old 09-30-2007, 02:06 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't see any reason why not...

Also check out some of the group buys on a diagnostic interface (look for Ricardo D) If you don't already have the Hammer, you can replicate nearly all the functions cheaper.

If you already have the Hammer, it will be good for bleeding the PDAS system locks. Thats the only advantage that I know of...

--Unless there are versions of them, that I don't know much about.
Old 09-30-2007, 02:35 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a hammer and my car was chip'd when I purchased it. The hammer worked fine, but reported a DME error due to a missing, or bad, checksum in the chip. I'm now back to a stock chip.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:45 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

The reason I ask is that there was a hammer on eBay last night but when the price went over A$1000 I walked away.

Is the offer from Ricardo still available? I thought they had sold out.

Additionally can the PDAS be bled some other way by? Perhaps by using introduced voltage?

I recall that in the mid-80s when I was involved with Toyota technical training and they were just trying to get the dealers up to speed on EFI there was a test routine for everything, you could check every function with a multi-meter and if you had the equipment to provide exact voltages you could activate any component.

There must be some imput that can be made to replicate the input the car makes but to do it in a way that bleeds the PDAS locks, does anybody know how to do that?
Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I need to do this myself.. and i think you can do it with a friend, activating the PDAS switch manually from the cockpit several times with the bleeders opened.. but I haven't worked out the specifics.. I think there is writing on this here somewhere, and a search should turn up something.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Michael Gibney
Racer

OK -- I just had a search -- this is what Garrett376 said back in mid2006, I will give that a try -- -- --

"But to answer your original question, with no other option, meaning the Hammer is the best way, you can bleed the lines from the solenoid block to the differential locks by cycling the PDAS switch on the center console:
turn ignition on (no need to start car)
pressurize locks by turning the console switch on dash
open bleeders to release fluid
close bleeder
turn off dash switch to depressurize the block/differential locks
repeat

This process is far less efficient - fluid comes out a lot faster with the "Hammer process" and in a more controlled "squirt every several seconds" manner."
Old 10-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Twood
Racer

Michael

Why don't you simply take the car to the Porsche dealer to have the PDAS bled. I am sure it will be far cheaper than $1000 for a hammer.
I have the diagnostic interface in Queensland that if we can come to some arrangement I happy to send to you to try. It seems that it will do everything required other than bleed the PDAS system.
PM if you are interested.
Ken
Old 10-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Michael Gibney
Racer

Hello Ken,

Thank you for the offer regards the test unit, I will take you up on that offer but not just now I have rather a lot on.

Yes I cooulld take the car down to the dealer but I live a few hundred kilometres out around the coast and the p car purrchase was to give me an interest in the shed so I work through everything myself, fortunately in my previous life I was a tradesman motor mechanic having been indentured to the late Agostino Beninca of Melbourne, he passed on a clear understanding of performance cars and the necessary patience to work through problems, unfortunately modern electronics (and to me even a 1990 C4 is modern) is something that just takes a long time.

My brother is a test and development engineer with GMH, he is brilliant at solving problems, I willl throw the PDAS bleed question over to him and if he has tthe time I'm sure he wil come up with an answer which will of course be posted for all.

Thanks again, as said I wiill give you a PM to arange a lend of the equipment but it will be when my brother can be with me because he wouldn't forgive me if I did that without him.

Regards

Michael Gibney

Quick Reply: Bosch Hammer