Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Removal.. Wow guys...(Venting)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:02 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's really good time to do your first starter.. Sarcasm, yes. I did my starter, and started this whole thread when I was having "issues"
Old 09-11-2009, 05:26 PM
RichieRoo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, but did you gold plate the terminals?

Wow 1.5 hours... it took me a few hours just to work out how to jack the car up in a narrow garage!

Well done.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:04 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he musta skipped the step about cursing every word in the book for an hour while you try to get your hands into the small places....
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 PM
DCIdevil
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crazy thing is i have big hands, bigger than most guys i know.. Maybe it's because of my long fingers i was able to do it so well?? lol
I didn't plate the terminals, not that big of a job to do it again in the future if this one goes out

Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM
superpilot27
Intermediate

Ok old post but great info. Definitely some show offs. how the heck can this be done under 3 hours?!!
ha ha ha
a word to some entering into starter hell..

I have an 1987 Carrera Targa and I decided to NOT drop the transmission and used the allen wrench socket with a knuckle and got all the nuts and bolts off the starter, only no matter which way I turned the starter it remained contained by the body and the transmission. hours of hell I spent getting the nuts off then lifting, swearing and wearing out my arm turning that thing every which way..

So in the end, I had to put the starter back on and then drop the transmission.
dangit.
I recommend for anyone reading this to go the original route and drop the transmission. It was easier than I thought that way and could save hours..
or waste them seeing that some show offs did it in 1.5 hours!!!

Last edited by superpilot27; 10-15-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: miss-spelled word
Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 AM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I found that bathing that nut in penetrating fluid regularly for a few days and sticking a ring spanner over the end of a stubby ratchet (they form an arc around the gearbox which gives both clearance and leverage) did the trick for me and mine was on as solidly as I can imagine possible without welding it to the stud. I did follow the workshop manual's instruction about removing the driveshafts and clutch slave though and I suspect the latter is vital for access if you're not going to drop the transmission.

Maybe I was lucky

Z
Old 10-16-2012, 07:16 AM
ZG862
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by superpilot27
...only no matter which way I turned the starter it remained contained by the body and the transmission. hours of hell I spent getting the nuts off then lifting, swearing and wearing out my arm turning that thing every which way..
Simple. You're lying on your back with your head towards the front of the car, both starter securing nuts removed and the cable disconnected. The right hand driveshaft is disconnected at the gearbox end and you are supporting the starter with you left hand.

Now, simply adjust your position so that if the starter were to fall, it will drop on your face, painfully. Murphy's law will take care of the rest.

Z
Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 AM
bmohr
Racer

And i thought removing a starter on my previous 996 C4 was difficult! Hopefully mine doesn't give up the ghost anytime soon
Old 10-16-2012, 03:11 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RichieRoo
It's out!

Just managed to get it out without lowering gearbox or engine.
I'm quite sure that, physically, there is not enough room to remove
the starter it can only be done with a Jedi mind trick.

If it's any help to those that follow, here's a picture of the starter
and the socket arrangement.

Thanks for the claiming words Thomas.

Now... got to get a new one and put it all back.
See photo in this quote (bottom of page 3).

That's the right idea. Now, just put a swivel joint at the end of the extension and add another extension x 12"+ to get your ratchet down to the bottom of the car, free of the trans and suspension, which will give you more free range when turning the ratchet. Seems to give you more torque for removal too.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Crystal Cranks
Racer

I joined the the starter motor replacement club last weekend, as always Rennist was a great help and I probably would not have done it without the info on here.

I did not need to lower the engine or transmission but my engine mounts are worn so this probably helped.

As said by others it's all about having the right length (quiet down the back) use the new motor to get an arrangement that JUST clears the end of the motor, I used 1/2" ratchet with a short extension the bit holder and a 10mm Allen bit, I had to put a small screw inside the bit holder so the bit stuck out the few extra millimetres I needed.

Oh and make sure you put ALL the wires back so you don't give yourself a heart attack when your car does not start.

Last edited by Crystal Cranks; 12-14-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:57 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Does this make the whole ordeal a lot easier?

Extended starter nut used for easy starter removal on 964 & 993 race cars.

(no affiliation) http://www.rothsport.com/Products/Ch...tarter-Nut.htm
Old 12-15-2014, 10:26 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That would make the job easier, but you still have to take it apart to install the extended nut. To be honest, I did not find it that tough of a job, with the help of RL and proper preparation, the job is pretty straight forward on a C2 anyway.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:22 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Dropping engine a few inches to change the starter??? Dropping tranny a few inches to change starter???Bunch of wimps!!!
+1
I thought the hardest part of the job was actually getting the new starter up through the gap and into position. A small mirror on a rod and a 6 inch long extension and I had the top fastener on in 5 minutes.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:59 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 117 Posts

Now that my engine is out, this makes me want to refurbish the starter, even though it only has 60k miles, to not ever have to deal with this while the engine is installed. It may not be the mileage anyway but the number of start attempts that determine the life.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:27 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Now that my engine is out, this makes me want to refurbish the starter, even though it only has 60k miles, to not ever have to deal with this while the engine is installed. It may not be the mileage anyway but the number of start attempts that determine the life.
Good idea.
While I had the engine out, my starter went bad just sitting on my workbench. Starters are subject to a lot of clutch dust contamination. They tend to lock up with enough use.

Quick Reply: Starter Removal.. Wow guys...(Venting)