Sponsored by:

964 is "home" at last

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:25 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 is "home" at last

The C4 purchase experience and ensuing problems after about 600 miles is behind me now as I got home last night with my '89 C4. The road trip from the Columbus, Ohio area down to central Texas was great. The car perfromed flawlessly the entire 1300 miles and got 27 mpg as a bonus.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to my "Cranks but won't start" post. I made a jumper to bypass the the DME relay, but never had to use it other than to test its function. I guess my last episode of beating the relay on a rock did the trick. New relays should arrive tomorrow from Pelican.

As I learn more about the 964 C4 I hope to be knowledgeable enough to contribute back to the group.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:03 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Sounds like you had a fun adventure. Welcome to Rennlist and congrats on your new car.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 PM
chet_964c2
Advanced

Default Congrats! Please post pics once you get a chance.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on the new car.

Marc
p.s. How about a DIY thread on the DME relay-versus-rock repair.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:04 AM
meek
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the list. Hitting inanimate, non-functioning objects is always the best fix. Infact, hitting animate things works a treat sometimes
Old 09-19-2007, 11:26 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

congrats on your new car. Must have been a fun drive to TX from OH
Old 09-19-2007, 04:43 PM
amr89c4
Pro

Yep, when I checked out the cool tool package in the trunk, I thought, "where's the hammer (and I didn't mean the electronic diagnostic tool)"?

I had a serious good time on the ride home. My girlfriend, who lives in the area, owns and drives the wheels off of the 87 Cab in my avitar, made sure the tires never cooled off. We spent almost 11 days in the Hocking Hills area enjoying the fantastic roads that are abundant there. How much better can it get!? Once on the Interstate, heading south, things weren't as exciting, but still, a road trip is a road trip and a road trip in a Porsche 964 is not your typical road trip to be sure. It was great fun.

As an aside, the car has not failed to start since the episode Sunday morning. Just look at the key wrong and it starts up instantly. On yet another note, the relays I ordered from Pelican came in today. They are not the correct ones. I was suspicious when I ordered one relay for the fog lights, then went to the fuel system to get a DME/Fuel pump relay. When I clicked on the part # for the DME/Fuel pump relay I was flagged that I already had one in the cart. At the time, I had not had any dme/pump relay trouble, but was heeding advice to carry a spare. The relays that came today have 4 posts and the DME/pump relay in the car has at least 6. I should have visually checked before placing the order. Oh well...be advised.

Good day!

Quick Reply: 964 is "home" at last