Side sill rubber seals

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 01:40 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Side sill rubber seals

Hi all

I'm finally getting around to doing one of those jobs at the bottom of my list, namely the replacement of the sill seals.

Unfortunately, both sides of the car are knackered, so I've no idea what they are 'supposed' to look like...

Can someone post a picture of a pristine set...I'm most interested in the join between the shark's fin and the side sill...I want to know what happens to the 2 rubber seals at that point.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2007, 01:44 PM
robmug
Rennlist Member

This is how they are at the moment!
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2007, 03:29 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it should look like that, but better! does that help? the rubber seal should lay flat and not wavey at all.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:44 PM
AK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced mine too. Make sure that they are pressed into the trim cover properly. I also had some trouble keeping the seal from folding under at the top. I just used a small scalpel to keep the top part of the rubber seal up as I poped each clip in sequentially. I did this before attaching any of the bottom plastic nuts. I also had to trim the new seal to the correct length.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:23 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

The rubber ends at each end of the sill and the shark fin. you'll notice that there are "notches" in the rubber as well as the sill/shark fin. this ensures the rubber is installed only one (correct) way. the gap between the shark fin and sill is approximately 3/16". the only place where the rubber is longer is at the front of the sill, and at the back of the shark fin. in both cases, the excess rubber is mechanically secured - either under the front fender access - or with a clamping tab at the (top nut) of the shark fin. trimming the excess rubber was not necessary during my installation - although I'm not sure what the shop manual calls for. in the end, it will be flat, smooth, align with each end of the sill and fin - and will not flap in the wind.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:38 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by robmug
Hi all

I'm finally getting around to doing one of those jobs at the bottom of my list, namely the replacement of the sill seals.

Unfortunately, both sides of the car are knackered, so I've no idea what they are 'supposed' to look like...

Can someone post a picture of a pristine set...I'm most interested in the join between the shark's fin and the side sill...I want to know what happens to the 2 rubber seals at that point.

Thanks!
Here are a few shots of brand new seals at the shark fin/rocker junction. The seal is not designed to cross the gap. A recent post on rocker seal replacement can be read HERE
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2007, 03:31 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Stephen - thanks, that's perfect. It looks like those ends are trimmed then.

All the nitches etc are aligned OK, but there's excess on each piece where the fin & sill meet - I can achieve your look by a neat trim.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:24 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, you don't need to trim the long one at the front wheel arch end. It just tucks in behind the wheel arch liner. All will become clear when you do it.

Nb. In case you don't know the sill fastener nearest the front wheel arch is held by a plastic nut. You need to undo the little wheel arch liner to undo it. All the rest on that sill are poppers. It's the front one that gets broken most because people don't realise.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:47 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steve...I was hoping that wasn;t the case, as the front wheel liner on the drivers side has very worn screws which I don't think will undo if I can't get a decent purchase ion the screwthread.

Any suggestions for removing screws with rounded Phillips slots?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:31 AM
ianellison
Racer

Hi Rob - just had this done on passengerside. This post was very useful. The replacement fastenings were the correct numbers and I got 6 each as suggested plus new rubber body seals (known as liquorice at Porsche parts in Leeds!) which made reassembly much easier.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ll+replacement
Old 09-18-2007, 06:54 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robmug
Thanks Steve...I was hoping that wasn;t the case, as the front wheel liner on the drivers side has very worn screws which I don't think will undo if I can't get a decent purchase ion the screwthread.

Any suggestions for removing screws with rounded Phillips slots?
Yes they usually are! The normal solution is file the edges and get some mole grips on them, or hacksaw a slot to use a flat blade screwdriver and replace with new ones. Take the wheel off so that you've room to work. You may only have to remove one of the three as that covering flap bends easily so you can get a hand inside the sill to undo the nut. BTW the nuts are 10 mm and cost about 9p each from an OPC.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:22 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Thanks Steve; I've got a full set of clips & nuts ready to use!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:48 PM
tokoro
Instructor

Hi in my turbo look im having problem with the new rubber seals there is a gap between the top plastic part the shark look and the metal any suggestions? glue? epoxy?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Can you give a better description of the gap and/or post a picture?

I don't see any reason why you'd need to glue anything.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:37 PM
tokoro
Instructor

Default rubber in sill cover

You see that the rubber is not completely attached to the car!!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Side sill rubber seals