Sponsored by:

power steering

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:56 PM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering

I replaced my power steering rack with a manual one a couple of years ago. I like it on the road and track, but in parking lots, it is pretty stiff, especially for my wife.
I noticed in the suspension information that the turbo has the top mount turned 180 degrees so the shock angle is smaller. Is the RS America without PS set up like the turbo or is it the same as the normal car with PS? It seems like the steering would be a little easier if the top mount were rotated, but I am afraid the shock will not have enough range on the camber adjustment to compensate.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:12 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I just purchased a new-in-factory-box manual rack from Rennlist classifieds. I don't know the answer to your question, but I prefer the steering feel of my early 911, and think the manual rack will help. I would really appreciate the answer to this question before I tackle mine. Do you have any DIY suggestions or lessons learned from your installation? Did you remove the pump, reservoir, and hoses?
Old 09-17-2007, 02:27 AM
rideshootanddrink
Intermediate

Oh, man...where do I find one of theese manual racks. I'd love to have it on my C2.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:30 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

You have the same set up with a manual rack as you have wiht the p/s rack. The turbo is something else.

It's a pretty straight forward job. Initially I tried to fix my leaking rack a couple of times and I used a well written guide from www.p-car.com. When I finally replaced it with the manual rack it just took me a little more than an hour...so practise is a good thing :-). I removed the pipes and everything and the only thing thats was a bit difficult was getting the pipes out of the passage into the engine bay because the pipes are stiff and the hole is tight. Cutting the pipes of made it easier.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:48 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rideshootanddrink
Oh, man...where do I find one of theese manual racks. I'd love to have it on my C2.
Pelican has rebuilt manual racks for about the same price as the rebuilt PS rack. Donor-car manual racks are available from the recent RSA wrecks and a theft recovery.

Somebody with more time than I have at present could figure out what it takes to remove the hydraulics from a PS rack to get rid of the drag. That would make it into a manual rack. The turns ratio might be different, but that is pretty easy to check as well. I will have a look when I get the PS rack off the car.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:21 PM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

I removed the pump and reservoir and put plugs and covers over the ends of the hydraulic lines in case I wanted to put the PS back. They don't get in the way and weigh almost nothing. Remember to center the steering wheel and block it before removing the rack. It turns easily and if you accidentally turn it, you will have to guess if it is in the center of the turning range of the air bag cable inside. The rest is easy and there is lots of space when the manual rack is installed. If you remove the mount for the PS pump, you will need to fabricate a cover for the front of the engine if you want to keep the dirt out.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jgrosjean
I noticed in the suspension information that the turbo has the top mount turned 180 degrees so the shock angle is smaller. Is the RS America without PS set up like the turbo or is it the same as the normal car with PS? It seems like the steering would be a little easier if the top mount were rotated, but I am afraid the shock will not have enough range on the camber adjustment to compensate.
The Turbo has a wider track achieved by moving the lower control arms laterally; to match this the upper mounts are rotated 180 degrees moving the upper suspension pivot laterally as well (Note that the floor of your front trunk has the bolt holes to move the control arms laterally since the Turbo uses the same floor pan as your car.)

This has nothing to do with steering effort and the RSA and Euro RS with manual steering have the same suspension mounting points as a C2.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:14 AM
jgrosjean
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I knew someone would know. I am quite happy with the steering feel both on the road and track, and I don't have to worry about any leaks from the pump or rack. My wife is doing some weight training.

Quick Reply: power steering