Sponsored by:

OT: TR6 wins first place!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 01:21 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
That's always the debate with these cars. To modify or not. I'm more interested in keeping this car original since it has survived this long without being modded up.
I can respect that...I'm the exact opposite as I've modded up my TR6, but kept the 964 completely stock. (The 964 has 50k miles on it and is 100% original.)

I hate to admit it here, but around town (on a cool day!) the TR6 is by far the more fun of the two cars to drive. It's hard to top the sound that car makes as it approaches redline.

I have the Goodparts suspension set-up as well (including the aluminum steering rack mounts) and agree it really tightened up the car. The signal biggest difference in handling for me though was the (frame mount) rear tube shock conversion kit from British Parts Northwest.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:06 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cwrm4
I hate to admit it here, but around town (on a cool day!) the TR6 is by far the more fun of the two cars to drive. It's hard to top the sound that car makes as it approaches redline..
That's funny because after the car show was over, we were fighting over who got to drive the TR6 home and who got 'stuck' driving the M Coupe. Guess who lost that toss...
I have the Goodparts suspension set-up as well (including the aluminum steering rack mounts) and agree it really tightened up the car. The signal biggest difference in handling for me though was the (frame mount) rear tube shock conversion kit from British Parts Northwest.
Yeah, the Goodparts stuff rocks. I have all his suspension stuff including the solid steering rack mounts and sways. The problem I actually have now though is that I made the suspension too stiff. It is literally causing the chasis to flex now. Not much I can do about an ancient heavy steel frame design. Fortunately, the shocks (Spax front and rear) are adjustable. I just need to soften them up. So I guess I'm not an absolute purist given the suspension mods. But they are hard to spot unless someone climbs under the car. Now, if we could just add some real braking capability...
Old 09-10-2007, 05:19 PM
cwrm4
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Modern tires will help quite a bit on the ride. Not sure if those are Michelins or the Coker knock-offs, but when I put on a set of slightly fat Yokos on my car the ride was significantly improved (as well handling).

BTW, I had the Coker radial redlines and, even though they were only 5 yrs old and <5000 miles, one of them completely delaminated (like a truck tire on the freeway) one day while turning into my driveway. Had it happened 5 minutes earlier, when I was throwing the car around corners at speed, it would have been a real bad deal.

When I called Coker, their response was "well they are really only for show and driving around in parades and such".
Old 09-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Seaflat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice TR. I had 2 of those when I was first married, a 76 and a 71. I loved those cars, funky on the electronics though. I actually put a clutch in one in shorter time than I could fix the signal lights

The other thing I remember is that ring gear on the flywheel where the starter pinion engages. I always felt as if I was playing roulette to see if I stopped where there were teeth still in the gear for the next start. Fun cars. Nice example.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:34 AM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

greg...congrats on the award...very sweet TR6...u takin a ride down to TWS this weekend?
Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Modern tires will help quite a bit on the ride. Not sure if those are Michelins or the Coker knock-offs, but when I put on a set of slightly fat Yokos on my car the ride was significantly improved (as well handling)...
I have the OEM Michelin redlines on it. But you are right, they have to be the worst handling tires ever made. I actually plan to buy a set of panasport period correct wheels and put some decent modern tires on them. Keep the OEM wheels/tires for car shows, etc.
Originally Posted by boze_man
greg...congrats on the award...very sweet TR6...u takin a ride down to TWS this weekend?
Thanks. Unfortunately, with the RSA down for an engine rebuild, I won't be at TWS. I had to cancel out. I will be at MSR on Sep 22 in the BMW though. You going to MSR? I plan to be back at TWS in Dec with the RSA.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Love the TR6, Greg. I've always liked how they look.

Quick Reply: OT: TR6 wins first place!