Sponsored by:

another motronic question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:31 AM
rennmax
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The ECU also adjusts acceleration enrichment in response to how quickly the AFM voltage changes. And that amount is reduced as the CHT increases. Is it possible your AFM is getting laggy? You could always try Porsche's fix and add a TPS.
Jason I'd be interested to know how to install porsche's fix and install a TPS.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:40 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rennmax
Jason I'd be interested to know how to install porsche's fix and install a TPS.
The easiest way (Porsche's fix -- there are a few that have done it) would be to find a donor ECU, MAF, TPS, ISV, wiring harness, etc. from a crashed MY94-95 993. The cheapest way would be to repurpose (the pressure sensor input is not really being used) an A/D channel and mod the MY92+ ECU software. That would obviously improve your situation but there is something else here at play.

Originally Posted by springer3
There is some chance you have debris around the cylinder head cooling fins, and the DME is protecting the engine from high cylinder head temperature.
There is no protection from high cylinder head temperatures. The ECU actually clamps the sensor value at a little less than ~300F so the CHT is only referenced during warmup.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 09-19-2007 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:10 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

When the engine is cold the DME tends to run a richer mixture and advance the timing. Once warm the Cold Start Cycle is out of the equation.
The Fuel pressure regulator seems to be working fine on your car.
The AFM reacts the same cold or hot, this may not be the issue.

Have you checked your AFR? Are your knock sensors working fine? Is your TPS reading differently when cold vs. hot?

There are many things that make the car feel lazy. Best approach is to verify the proper operation of the various sensors before swapping parts.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:36 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by dougn
i can't even find anyone who seems knowlegeable about the fuel pressure regulator.....it may be the key to the slow response.

the regulator has a vacuum line connected to it that reduces the fuel pressure to about 50 psi while under vacuum. when vacuum is removed, the pressure increases to about 55 or 58 psi. when you open the throttle quickly, vacuum goes away ....so i'm concluding this increase in fuel pressure is designed to provide throttle response.
The vacuum side of the fuel pressure regulator is used to maintain a constant pressure differential between the fuel rail and the intake manifold. At idle the manifold pressure drops and hence the manifold pressure drops the fuel pressure by the same amount. This reduction of fuel pressure at idle thus requires a longer injector pulse width to deliver the correct fuel volume per cycle - hence improving the resolution and accuracy of the fuel control.

By the sound of your problem the engine is running lean when it gets hot - one possible cause of this that others have touched on is a faulty cylinder head temperature sensor which is out of calibration once the engine is warm.

Quick Reply: another motronic question