Sponsored by:

Price Check on Wheel Bearing Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:49 PM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

good thread. I've had a vibration, strange sound, whenever I made a right hand turn on my car. As soon as the car straightens itself, the noise goes away. The car is loud and track only, but having owned it for 10 years, I get to know all it's nuances, and this vibration is new. Going to take it in and have the axles and bearings checked. I believe we upgraded the hubs to a C4 style? four years back, so maybe it's time for new bearings after all that track time they've been exposed to.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Manny, We are finding that on the club raced cars, we replace the wheel bearings every two years as PM. There also appears to be a difference in longevity between factory Porsche bearings and ones from the OEM aftermarket. The noise you are describing sounds like a wheel bearing on the loaded side of the car ie left hand side.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

With my car, you can feel a small vibration in the floor and only hear it in the car. It is louder turning left or right, slightly different noises, and quieter straight. I tried to locate which side with the windows down while driving next to walls and such, but could not tell. I tracked it down by getting the car up on stands and letting it idle in second. If I stopped the front left, the vibration stopped. Grabbing the tire and trying to pivot it about the axle did not show any movement. I then removed the wheel & rotor and could definitely tell it was bad by rotating the axle.

Quick Reply: Price Check on Wheel Bearing Replacement