Sponsored by:

toyo TR 1 - any experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Going to try them.
I may get a second set of wheels for the MPS's to sit on- they should still be good for dry tracking the car.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:02 AM
rodders
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David - Keep us in touch wirh your experience - genuinely interested in your experience
Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Still dithering- may go RA-1.

I know these are great track tires but I wonder if someone can weigh in on rain and street use.

And Atlanta can get chilly in Feb- do they work in colder temps (40s and even 30s)?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:12 PM
rodders
Racer

Interesting - I thought the RA-1 had the softer side wall and the T1R was built with the harder wall to resolve that issue ?
Old 08-30-2007, 03:15 PM
rodders
Racer

Delete previous message - I confused the RA-1 with the T1-S
Old 08-30-2007, 03:18 PM
rodders
Racer

David - Delete previous message - re instate the first message !! - its been one of those days
Old 08-30-2007, 04:22 PM
ormy
Advanced

This has been a great thread

Lots of debate and some divergent opinion! As I don't do track and I'm looking for a tyre that will perform well for a road user (in both wet and dry) I think I'll give these bash when my current Pirelli's give up. Thanks Rodders for starting the thread, and for all the feedback and comments from other posters.

One question though (actually 2) - are these approved for the 964? and probably more importantly, does Porsche approval of the tyre make any difference to how insurance companies view claims? I ask this because we all know how insurance companies are masters at avoiding payouts. I wouldtn't want to have a bumper bashing and have a claim rejected on some silly technicality. Has anyone had their choice of tyre questioned by an insurance company?

I know this sounds a bit paranoid, but I've heard some strange stories........
Old 08-30-2007, 07:35 PM
rodders
Racer

As i understand the position on testing - no new tyre has been tested on a 964 for many years
- Adrian pointed this out on some other thread some time ago.
That means there are no approved 'N' rated tyres for our cars.
A conundrum !!
I have, personally , never heard of any insurance issues with tyres - other than if the tyres were unfit for the purpose and would fail the MOT - I have never heard of a claim being rejected because the tyre was not the recommended N rating.
As we cant get them any way we are theoretically stymied.
So I accept the opinion that as long as the tyre is Z rated and in good condition we are OK.
Hence my interest in the Toyo - they have made a high performance tyre that cannot be N rated but is made in a huge range of sizes and ratio's for 16's plus the other more popular sizes.
If the tyre is good - and it seems to be - we D90 lovers have a new lease of life, but the only way we will have any confidence is if those of us who try the T1R's post our experiences - Porsche are not going to do it for us, and it would be a pity to miss out on a genuinely good product, by blindly following the N rating when it does not even pertain to out model of Porsche
Ormy, I am glad you have enjoyed the thread - so have I - its such a little subject when surrounded by all the power and racing issues but its an increasingly important subject for us mundane motorists
- keep it going
Knowledge dispels fear
Old 08-30-2007, 07:51 PM
rodders
Racer

A question for Michael in Sweden - you referred to using 225/255 on 17's - I was going to go up in size but had to change the tyres at short notice and couldnt wait for the bigger ones - I wonder whether those sizes in 16's would
a. fit under the arches
b. be too heavy
c. rub
d. over strain the power steering
e. Adrian has mentioned somewhere that too big a tyre on the front can cause suspension wear
f. balance ?
Any one got any experience ??
Michael ?
Old 09-01-2007, 02:44 PM
rodders
Racer

As the tres are scrubbed down they are getting very good
- I want to keep this thread running as the experience develops over time - and Michael has not replied yet !!

Quick Reply: toyo TR 1 - any experience