Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

toyo TR 1 - any experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:25 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I have MPSC's that need replacing- what will I find if I go to T1 R's aside from less noise and a heavier wallet.
Anyone had both that can opine?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:41 PM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Love the Toyo's
Hate the MPSC's
Old 08-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Not many dislilke the SC's- why did you?
Old 08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
rodders
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we seem to have some very strong views on both sides
- very curious that the Toyo's should evince such extremes - i have found any thing to hate and much to enjoy
- in the UK they are not seen as a premium product - at the moment - but I certainly would put them along side any thing and would not consider them a lesser product in any way.
- i do occasionally drive the GT2 on Pilots and an 964RS on SO2 but really not a good comparison
- as a compromise on the road, I do think that the T1R is hard to beat - when the price is factored in - TOYO has to win hands down
- but I do look forward to more comment from the previous poster who hated them - please
Old 08-28-2007, 10:43 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Most would agree that Pilots are great tires if a little loud and definitely pricey. They also have a pretty stiff sidewall that make those little lane reflectors feel like running over roadkill.

They also feel loose in the rain, but mine are quite worn.

BTW- I just completed the Barber Park/Porsche DE in AL and all the cars were shod with them. This is not surprising in that:

a.) Michelin is a course sponsor
and
b.) its solely track, auto-x and skid path

That said I, and perhaps others, wonder if the Toyos would be a reasonable alternative- really addressing these key points (dry grip, wet grip, and noise).
Old 08-28-2007, 01:35 PM
rodders
Racer

Ritter
I have used the Pilots but my 50 years driving sports cars from the original radial ply tyre - the Pirelli Cinturato's - i always avoided the Michelin of the period as they were tooooo hard had no wet grip, great dry grip and lasted forever and ever !! - to the current day gives me a bit of experience
- i think the Toyo certainly is a 'reasonable' alternative - my 2000 mile experience has been good in all those departments better than the SO2 - which i have always liked - but as I have said earlier i think they are like the Yoko's, which i loved except for the quick wear factor
I understand the walls are stiffer than the previous tyre - which may have answered the critics
- still i have made my views clear
- it would be good to hear from others
Old 08-28-2007, 01:36 PM
rodders
Racer

woops - should be NOT used the pilots - sorry folks
Old 08-28-2007, 06:51 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have T1-R on my 964.
17" 225 front and 255 rear.
Much better than the ContactSport3 I had on before.
So far I haven't had the rear break loose before the front, eventhough I run on 225 on the front. (On a C2)
On the track it just slides sideways if it loses grip, and I can easily catch it again.
My car feels much more in balance now, and I have a lot more confidence than before with the ContactSport3.
I have also driven a lot in the rain and have nothing bad to say about them.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Thats helpful- thanks.

I'm pretty committed to try a set- as soon as I get my suspension sorted out (next week I hope!).
Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rodders
FV - I am surprised - breaking loose early is the last thing they do for me - far too sticky.
The SO2 is much harder and slides easily - may be you have wear on the inside of the rears on the 993?

- looking at your blog you seem to be running 19 on the 993
- my tyres are on the 964 with 7/9 inch 16's - a little wider but not at all extreme.
Out of interest which tyres do you rate ?
Interesting that your experience is so extremely opposite
I would be interested to try the pilot sport - they seem highly recommended but i could not get them when i needed them
Yes, I am running 19" on the 993 but that set of wheels I have Pilot Sports, the set of Turbo twists (18") have the TR-1.

The problem I've had on the street are one some specific corners that I feel the tires should be able to handle without (sliding) massive understeer to be specific). They are also only for for 1-2 hot-laps on an Auto-X run before the rear starts to really walk out and I loose a lot of time. The Pilots, despite being near worn out don't have this tendency. From the ravings about how 'great' the Toyos are, was I surprised. *shrug*

Tires and oil reccommendations are the fuel of many an internet board 'holy war' LOL
Old 08-29-2007, 07:08 AM
rodders
Racer

My reaction to the T1R's is that of pleasant surprise at a tyre that was very cheap but performing very well in most road circumstances - as well as and better than most I have used ( I havn't had Pilots on this car but they are on the GT2 but that's another story)
my interest was also spiked by a manufacturer producing an extensive range of sizes and profiles for 16 inch wheels - an size that is generally considered of no real interest.
I don't do track work any more so I am happy with the 16's - my larger 7/9 D90 give a little more handling but i don't burn the road/track as i used to.
So I suppose I was looking at the issue from the point of view of an ordinary 'Joe' as you colonials would express it.
The Pilots should be better and at 40% cost more I would expect that - however the SO2 when available are much the same as the Pilots in price and I think do not perform as well as the T1R's.
I have always looked to the top of the range in tyre choice and have largely stayed with Yoko's and Bridgestone's
- a bit of research into the T1R's suggested that cost alone was not the only indicator of quality added to the increasingly limited options on 16's
FV is obviously running the tyres in a more extreme environment so many other aspects come into play.
My enthusiasm is partly in praise/support of a manufacturer who has gone to trouble to manufacture a comprehensive range of tyres for our cars at a very fair price
- i was surprised that they had bothered with the 16 size, and was looking for the experience of others - my suspicion was that there was a big flaw in the product - but so far in normal road use I am very pleasantly surprised.
Obviously i cant speak for the more extreme useage.
As an aside - what is an Auto-X in the States - is it what we would call a 'Sprint' on the track - AutoCross
( Auto-X ?? ) over here is a mix of track and mud
Old 08-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Auto-x is timed laps on a course set up usually in a parking lot with some cones.

The courses tend to be small and tight with an emphasis on control and handling over raw speed.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:59 AM
rodders
Racer

Thanks Ritter - not something we do much of over here.
Sounds as tho the tyres wouldn't get very hot on each run, but does not sound an excessive activity - short and sweet ?
I would be surprised if the T1R would go off that quickly but what do I know ...
Ritter - is it some thing that you do and would you use the T1R's
I am still fascinated that Toyo seem to have made a big investment in this tyre and multiple combinations - if it is a good product, as it seems to be, then the 16 inch users deserve to know more
Old 08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I'm just finishing off my car and may do some auto-x but my focus will be more track events than auto-x; they're fun but less so than real track time.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:35 PM
rodders
Racer

will you use the T1R 's on the track ??

Quick Reply: toyo TR 1 - any experience