Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jamie
Old 08-17-2007, 05:00 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

"robh", yeah "jamie" is correct.
Its the RS type glass that i am currently after, soon to be fitted...
Old 08-17-2007, 07:56 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 964russ
"pete000" do you want the glass to have a wiper hole? Iam changing mine just to get rid of the wiper hole, its got no brake light, you can have my old one. But i think that shipping costs will be to high.

Thanks so much for the offer, but if I am going to ship a glass from Europe I would rather not have a hole in it.

I spoke to the dealer today and he said the factory had 9 rear windows in stock with out light or hole in Germany. He is getting a quote on the cost. Said it would probably be $900.00 or more !

Any one in the UK have one ? Any dismantlers links ?

Thanks guys for all the help.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:49 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Local dealer in San Jose got it for me for $700, your price may vary.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:18 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pete000
Thanks so much for the offer, but if I am going to ship a glass from Europe I would rather not have a hole in it.

I spoke to the dealer today and he said the factory had 9 rear windows in stock with out light or hole in Germany. He is getting a quote on the cost. Said it would probably be $900.00 or more !

Any one in the UK have one ? Any dismantlers links ?

Thanks guys for all the help.
Daft offer really
The RS type glass is 600 euro in germany, thats about £400 / $750 thats full retail thou, so it will be a little cheaper. The stealers wont charge you shipping, i think. So that sounds a bit pricey to me. Stevepaa,s price is a little better.
Trying to get mine for free! I find out on monday when and if...
Old 08-18-2007, 01:41 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Up here in Canada 964 widnshields are dealer only and $1100 plus seal and labor. My cost...retail is more.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:48 AM
adamfogerty
Instructor

Hi,

I don't mean to hijack, but can the UK guys clarify something for me?

I have a crack in my windscreen and have glass cover as part of my insurance, but have two questions:
  • Although getting the screen replaced won't affect my no-claims discount, someone once told me that my premium could still go up as a result - The windscreen repair will still go down on record as an 'insurance claim' - Can annoy confirm this? I don't want to be hit by a nasty increase next year.
  • Should I feel comfortable entrusting the work to the insurance companies 'approved' windscreen company? I know Porsche have a specific procedure for removing the windscreen glass in the 964 - I assume any highstreet glass company is going to apply their 'one size fits all' technique? What's the risk of them making a mess of things?

Many thanks,

Adam
Old 08-20-2007, 06:01 AM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

"Adam" firstly i think your right about the insurance thing. It dosent affect your NCB but it is still a claim. Check with your insurance company.
And the quality of workmanship is allways a worry, if the company fitting the screen has any sense they will allways send a decent tech to change any glass on a Porsche. There not hard to change just a little odd, you have to remove the clock from the dash to connect the aerial, rear view mirrors snap on the mount very easily, they leak as well.
Try to get a new rubber seal fitted with the glass to reduce the chance of leaks.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:24 PM
polar964
Racer

Like Adam, My dilemma on replacing the windscreen is who to trust to do the job. ie to spec' with no paint damage, no leaks etc. The windscreen is the one thing that bugs me most because of the very fine like metallic dots all over it, from 14 years of micro missiles! which on a sunny day looks like a smoke screen. I have taken the clock out myself in the past which first time round took at least an hour without damaging the dash or clock surround. I suspect it ain't been out for a long time. I have took the precaution of applying some lube, so it should just slip out next time. You can just imagine some bright spark come to replace the screen making a right botch of the dash before starting on the screen. Is this a diy job or is it best undertaken by an independent or dealership?
OR .........should the theory be if it's not broken don't try to fix it !

Paul
93 C2 Polar Silver
Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

It can be a DIY, I have done my BMW2002 glass. I plan to my 964 rear next weekend. Care, patience, and some forthought should be all you need.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:55 PM
polar964
Racer

Hi Steve, any chance of posting a how to guide and some pictures of the process, when you come to do it. Or do you know a link that explains this job well. Would be interested in doing it myself if i know the right steps to take. Would really appreciate some guidance from someone who has the experience and tackled the job first hand.

Paul
93 C2 Polar Silver
Old 08-21-2007, 06:07 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Yes, I'll take pics of removal and install. And include tips from other sources.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:45 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Its a bit ov a nack to fittin a glass in a lip rubber. Have a go! if u get stuck let me know!
Fitted loads, its not hard.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:16 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

OK....I had the glass guys out to replace the WS on my '90 C2 coupe. 1st visit - they determined that some sealant was used and that the gasket needed to be replaced. They ordered it and came out a second time. Here's where the trouble started. 1) broke the rear view mirror. 2) not familiar with connecting the antenna from the SW to the connction box in the dash.

Questions:
Does anyone know the correct way to connect the WS antenna under the dash...including the steps to get access to it?
Does anyone know the correct way for the WS antenna wire to be routed around the gasket and down into the existing hole?

And it gets better......they broke the glass attempting to install. Apparantly they didn't completely clean the sealant debris around the pinch weld.

Lesson learned......not all glass installers are created equal.......and the higher price charged by the dealer might be justified.

The good news: entire WS mounting area very clean, no rust, all original paint, and intact.

Sleepless in Seattle.......at least until it's corrected and re-detailed.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:29 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats my fear. After importing a screen all the way form Europe to only have it broken by a monkey trying to put it in. Might just have the dealer do the whole job !

Quick Reply: Windshield Prices