Sponsored by:

Wind deflector advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 07:22 AM
ormy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind deflector advice

My better half is demanding a wind deflector for our 1990 C2 cab. With the top down her heair gets blown all over the place and above 50 mph her skirt floats up like in that old Marilyn Monroe film

There seem to be a number of aftermarket wind deflectors available. Some seem to be one piece, and others 2 piece systems. A couple of questions:

1. Is the 2 piece better than the one piece unit?
2. I've read a few posts (not relating to the 964 admittedly) where there may be issues with moving the drivers seat all the way back with the deflector installed - has anybody experienced any problems with this?

Any advice would be welcome

thanks

John
Old 07-21-2007, 04:29 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi John,
I'm sorry but I can't help as I don't have a cab, however you post raises one question. Why would you want one?
If I had a cab and exceeded 50 mph and my female passengers skirt was floating up........Plus, she couldn't see what was going on.....................I wouldn't bother getting a wind deflector. But that's just me

I know I'm gonna get hanged for this
Old 07-21-2007, 04:56 AM
ianellison
Racer

I have the one from Classic Additions, which they say is a copy of the Porsche design. It has a light weight black grill which stands up behind the seat backs and a flexible black nylon gauze which attaches and attaches to the rear carpet behind the rear seats stopping down draughts. It is very effective in stopping draughts. Cost about £75 I think.

I have my seat on the rear seat rail fastenings and fully back. As long as the seat back is not too reclined its fine. Photo attached.
Attached Images  
Old 07-21-2007, 05:39 AM
ormy
Advanced

Originally Posted by psychoideas
Hi John,
I'm sorry but I can't help as I don't have a cab, however you post raises one question. Why would you want one?
If I had a cab and exceeded 50 mph and my female passengers skirt was floating up........Plus, she couldn't see what was going on.....................I wouldn't bother getting a wind deflector. But that's just me
My sentiments exactly! However it's probably a good idea to keep my wife on-side with this, as I'm sure there are going to be a great many days spent tinkering around with the car which will require her patience....

Originally Posted by ianellison
I have the one from Classic Additions, which they say is a copy of the Porsche design. It has a light weight black grill which stands up behind the seat backs and a flexible black nylon gauze which attaches and attaches to the rear carpet behind the rear seats stopping down draughts. It is very effective in stopping draughts. Cost about £75 I think.

I have my seat on the rear seat rail fastenings and fully back. As long as the seat back is not too reclined its fine. Photo attached.
Thanks for the reply & photo. Coincidently the Classic Additions one is the one I'm looking at so your feedback is greatly appreciated.

thanks

John
Old 07-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Fred's 964
Racer

I have the Porsche one. It really helps with wind and wind noise and you can still hear the engine music. I think they are expensive at around $500 I'm told. Mine came with the car. Thanks to PO.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Jerry Garwick
Racer

Location: Prather, California: somewhere in the middle of the State
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my cab wind deflector through STRASSE (strasseusa.com). I can't remember the cost but it was not cheap. It is a two piece similar to the UK posting but with a bottom portion made of similar construction to the vertical portion which can be folded down if you desire. The seats can go all the way to the rear with no problem. I have had the car up to 100 mph with no problem from the deflector. It makes a world of improvement at highway speeds.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:49 AM
Polman
Pro

A Wind deflector is a "must have" issue whan driving a Cabriolet. You can easy travell in Highway speed without any disturbing wind in the coúpe. You can often find the originals on ebay.de for as low ending price as 120 Us dollar + shipping. It´s called windschott in Germany
Old 07-23-2007, 05:07 AM
ianellison
Racer

Loom passenger side LHD cars; drivers side RHD cars; I presume Watson?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 PM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the Porsche one from Sunset Imports http://www.sunsetimports.com/porscheatcost.php at a cost around $350, if I recall correctly. Works great. Makes things quieter and allows for longer open top use in the fall/winter since it keeps things warmer. Highly recommended.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:16 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Not much to add to the previous posts- I did the same as dcbailey and bought the Porsche version from Sunset. It works great.

Quick Reply: Wind deflector advice