964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing noise from left front tweeter.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007 | 02:38 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Default Buzzing noise from left front tweeter.

Ok this is a fairly long story so here goes.....

As the topic tells i have a buzzing noise from the front left tweeter, it has been there from when i bought it, the buzzing noise is only when the engine is started and when my stereo is on, it doesnt seem to matter what the volume is the buzzing will get louder.

So this is what i have changed in order to try and get rid of this pain.

1. I have changed the stereo thinking it was a amp problem twice. No Go.

2. Changed the front speakers thinking that was effecting the tweeter. No Go.

3. Changed the tweeter itself. No Go.

4. Changed the crossover unit in the door pocket. No Go.

5. Finally i have changed the rear speakers which i didnt think would make any difference anyway, but wanted better speakers fitted. Again No Go.

I can only describe the noise as a bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzz.

Its not only annoying but it destroys the sound quality.

The answer ofcourse is to disconnect the tweeter itself as it cures the buzzing, but i want to keep the tweeters working, any suggestions to how i can cure it without disconnection would be greatfully appreciated.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 07-15-2007 | 05:19 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Not sure I can be much help, but in this situation I'd check the wires running to the tweeter. I'd check if they are well connected and not rubbing. I'd check the grounding of the equipment. Of course you could disconnect the tweeters and use main units that have an integrated tweeter. Since this is only happening on one side, I'd swap the output connections at the amp/radio unit and see if the buzzing changed sides. Perhaps the tweeter wires or something in the crossover unit is/are badly connected: have you tried swapping the crossovers?

Julian
Old 07-15-2007 | 05:36 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Check for arcing in the engine compartment by spraying some water around your plug wires and distributors in the dark while the engine is running. I once had a loose plug wire that caused stereo buzzing when the engine was running.

Regards,

Steve
Old 07-15-2007 | 08:16 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Thanks for your replies guys.

So far i have changed the front left components connected with the stereo which includes the crossover unit. When the engine is switched off the sound quality is sweet but once started the dredded buzzing tweeter is back for revenge. Its definately engine running related but wasnt sure if there is a supressor (think thats how you spell it? anywhere that maybe failing?
I will have a go at checking wires back to the stereo from that side, may even bypass the wired pair completly to see if that cures it. also i will have a go at water spray'n the leads, sounds a good idea, i may even cure 2 birds with one stone with that one?

Cheers

Jeff
Old 07-15-2007 | 09:29 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Here are a couple of links that may help.

adamfogerty posted a great checklist in post #4 of the first thread.

Car audio static

Electric Suppressor Part # wanted

Good thread on debugging radio is missing
Old 07-16-2007 | 12:13 AM
doug751
Racer

I replaced the original head unit with a Becker from SW stereo. He made a cable to go the stock amp without cutting or splicing. After that stll had the buzz you describe but in the right tweeter. I asked my shop to look for arcs, they found none. The man at SW Stereo recomended that I bypass the external amp located under the seat and instead use the amp built into the Becker Porsceh head unit. He made another cable for me and that solved the problem.

There may be a ground differential between the amp and the head unit? There may be a stray arc to ground in the car. In the end, removing the stpck amp was easy and my problem is solved.

The radio in this car will NEVER sound that good anyhow, so do not worry too much about this, just get rid of that buzzing!
Old 07-17-2007 | 02:41 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

Default Finally found the problem :-)

I finally found the problem with the buzzing.

I will try and explain how i found the problem for furure reference.

As you already know i already replaced the radio unit, left hand tweeter, 13cm speaker and crossover unit and was still getting the problem, so i then turned my attention to the wiring, from previous posts (Thanks Guys ) i removed the right hand seat thinking i may also have a stock amp but to my amazment there was nothing there, not even a trace of anything being there apart from a large positive and negative terminals, i did a ohms check with the engine running on the speaker wires from door to stereo bit still had nothing to suggest a problem, i then traced the wires from the main loom on the left side right the way across to the right side and up via the other remaining 6 wires for the speakers, (so it seemed that the 2 wires i was looking for run from the left side of the car to the right side and then join the rest of the speaker cables, which i unusual?) i cut the main loom covering tape and pulled out the speaker wires and made up a set and tried them and it cured the problem :-)
I then made a pair of speaker wires using the original block connectors that go in the door connector and run the wires into the main loom and taped it all up again so it back to original.

When my original speaker wires were pulled out of the loom i thought i might test them before i go and replace them thinking that there might be interferance from other wires but to my amazment even though they were on there own with no possible interferance i still had the buzzing.
I checked the two wires for corrosion and damage but nothing that i could see, maybe they were just simply bad wires or poor insulation, either way its cured and i now have really good qualitly sound with engine running :-)

Cheers

Jeff
Old 07-17-2007 | 03:48 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Jeff, that's good debugging. Thanks for posting what you found. I'm glad you got it fixed!

Quick Reply: Buzzing noise from left front tweeter.