Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recaro seat mounts (split from the Random 964 Picture Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I got the sub-belt harness bolts in on the passenger side today.

Marc
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2007, 07:25 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Great looking car schlicht911.

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I got the sub-belt harness bolts in on the passenger side today.

Marc
6 points? What are you going to do on the driver's side? I just got my seats and harnesses installed but still need to do the eye bolts at some point.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris M.
6 points?
Yes, Schroth hybrids.

Originally Posted by Chris M.
What are you going to do on the driver's side?
Same thing - I already got them installed and it only took a little DME relocation.

Drill the hole just big enough for the bolt and mount it with a huge reinforcing plate underneath. I tried using the 996 B-K sub bars but the angle was totally wrong so I had to drill the holes.

Marc
Old 07-05-2007, 10:09 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Yes, Schroth hybrids.

Same thing - I already got them installed and it only took a little DME relocation.

Drill the hole just big enough for the bolt and mount it with a huge reinforcing plate underneath. I tried using the 996 B-K sub bars but the angle was totally wrong so I had to drill the holes.

Marc
I was wondering why you didn't use the 996 sub bar? I used them on my car and worked perfectly. Actually the BK sub bar seemed to work better than the 996 bar.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also used the 996 sub bars and everything fit fine.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cobalt
I was wondering why you didn't use the 996 sub bar?
Schroth specify that the sub belt must run 20 degrees backwards, no more and no less.

The only place to mount the B-K 996 bar was either at the front seat mount holes (way too far forwards) or at the rear seat mount holes (too far back). There is nothing to mount the bar to at the ideal location and, being handier with a Dremel than a welder, this seemed to work.

The only other option would have been to sandwich the sub-bar between the sliders and the side brackets but that would have required some extensive sub-bar mods to make it fit and then the sub-straps would be relying on the same mount bolts as the seat -- I'd rather spread the load out between different bolts. Safety is not a compromise.

If you have pictures of a successful mount that puts things in the right place, I'd love to see them as I could not make it work.

Marc
Old 07-05-2007, 10:56 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Schroth specify that the sub belt must run 20 degrees backwards, no more and no less.

The only place to mount the B-K 996 bar was either at the front seat mount holes (way too far forwards) or at the rear seat mount holes (too far back). There is nothing to mount the bar to at the ideal location and, being handier with a Dremel than a welder, this seemed to work.

The only other option would have been to sandwich the sub-bar between the sliders and the side brackets but that would have required some extensive sub-bar mods to make it fit and then the sub-straps would be relying on the same mount bolts as the seat -- I'd rather spread the load out between different bolts. Safety is not a compromise.

If you have pictures of a successful mount that puts things in the right place, I'd love to see them as I could not make it work.

Marc
I see,

What seats are you using? The GT3 seats are set up for a perfect 20 degree angle with the sub bar, so it worked perfectly for me.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:52 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Marc
Well Mark, that's how they are actually mounted. Not in sandwich but on top of seat side bracket. When mounted the bar aligns with sub hole in the seat. see picture below to show where the bar mounts.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CWay27
Well Mark, that's how they are actually mounted. Not in sandwich but on top of seat side bracket. When mounted the bar aligns with sub hole in the seat. see picture below to show where the bar mounts.

Correct,

The seat opening is actually slightly forward of were the bar is located making it a perfect set up.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, Schroth hybrids.

Marc
Looking forward to the details in your write-up.

Marc
I was thinking maybe you didn't use the B-K bar because it's not a legal place for the subs in PCA club racing. Don't know about SCCA or POC.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm. You guys are running the 996 sliders in your 964s. What else do you have to do besides bend the front tab back up into the rails?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CWay27
Interesting - thanks for the photo.

The only difference I can see is that those do not look like the Recaro side mounts that I have and those do not look like the Recaro sliders that I have so I'm not sure that the way you have it set up would have worked for me. What type of side mounts and sliders are they?

I'll have to have another look at it tonight.

Marc
Old 07-05-2007, 01:37 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Interesting - thanks for the photo.

The only difference I can see is that those do not look like the Recaro side mounts that I have and those do not look like the Recaro sliders that I have so I'm not sure that the way you have it set up would have worked for me. What type of side mounts and sliders are they?

I'll have to have another look at it tonight.

Marc
Those are 996 GT3 side mounts and sliders. They might not look like yours but 95% of side mounts, mount the same way and are all "L" shape. The universal side mounts have a couple of holes on the side to adjust seat height and bottom holes are usually sloted, to accomodate different sliders and also the wideness of the seat.

See picture below. the rear holes are slotted to adjust rake (front to rear) but the bottom holes (for sliders) are staight and not slotted.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:43 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I used the BK side mounts and 996 sliders. Just bend the tab up and you are set to go. I needed the BK side mounts to lower the seat and angle it back but I am assuming the Recaro side mounts will do the same.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2007, 03:14 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cobalt
I used the BK side mounts and 996 sliders. Just bend the tab up and you are set to go. I needed the BK side mounts to lower the seat and angle it back but I am assuming the Recaro side mounts will do the same.
I bought the BK side mounts too but found the Recaro's let the seat sit lower and had more rake adjustment holes (5 versus 3, IIRC).

Cway: I am confused - the picture of the 996 GT3 side mounts do not look like the side mounts in your other picture?

Marc

Quick Reply: Recaro seat mounts (split from the Random 964 Picture Thread)